Code of Alabama - Title 8: Commercial Law and Consumer Protection - Section 8-33-7 - Form and contents of warranty
Legal Research Home > Alabama Lawyer
Section 8-33-7 - Form and contents of warranty.
(a) Every vehicle protection product warranty in its entirety shall be written, printed, or typed in eight point type size or larger and shall not be sold or offered for sale in this state unless the warranty:
(1) States that the obligations of the warrantor to the warranty holder are guaranteed under a warranty reimbursement insurance policy if the warrantor elects to meet its financial responsibility obligations under subsection (b) of Section 8-33-5 or states that the obligations of the warrantor under the warranty are backed by the full faith and credit of the warrantor if the warrantor elects to meet its financial responsibility obligations under subsection (c) of Section 8-33-5.
(2) States that in the event a warranty holder must make a claim against a party other than the warranty reimbursement insurance policy issuer, the warranty holder is entitled to make a direct claim against the insurer upon the failure of the warrantor to pay any claim or meet any obligation under the terms of the warranty within 60 days after proof of loss has been filed with the warrantor.
(3) States the name and address of the issuer of the warranty reimbursement insurance policy and this information need not be preprinted on the warranty form, but may be added to or stamped on the warranty, if the warrantor elects to meet its financial responsibility obligations under subsection (c) of Section 8-33-5.
(4) Identifies the warrantor, the seller, and the warranty holder.
(5) Sets forth the total purchase price and the terms under which it is to be paid, however, the purchase price is not required to be preprinted on the vehicle protection product warranty and may be negotiated with the consumer at the time of sale.
(6) Sets forth the procedure for making a claim, including a telephone number.
(7) States the existence of a deductible amount, if any.
(8) Specifies the payments or performance to be provided under the warranty including payments for incidental costs, the manner of calculation or determination of payments or performance, and any limitations, exceptions, or exclusions.
(9) Sets forth all of the obligations and duties of the warranty holder including the duty to protect against any further damage to the vehicle, the obligation to notify the warrantor in advance of any repair, or other similar requirements, if any.
(10) Sets forth any terms, restrictions, or conditions governing transferability of the warranty, if any.
(11) Contains a disclosure that reads substantially as follows: "This agreement is a product warranty and is not insurance."
(b) At the time of sale, the seller or warrantor shall provide one of the following to the purchaser:
(1) A copy of the vehicle protection product warranty.
(2) A receipt or other written evidence of the purchase of the vehicle protection product and a copy of the warranty within 30 days of the date of purchase.
(Act 2006-600, p. 1638, §7.)Sections: Previous 8-33-1 8-33-2 8-33-3 8-33-4 8-33-5 8-33-6 8-33-7 8-33-8 8-33-9 8-33-10 8-33-11 8-33-12 8-33-13 Next
Last modified: February 19, 2012