Code of Alabama - Title 16: Education - Section 16-33C-11 - ACES savings agreements
Legal Research Home > Alabama Lawyer
Section 16-33C-11 - ACES savings agreements.
(a) Each savings agreement made pursuant to the ACES Program shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following terms and provisions:
(1) The maximum and minimum contributions allowed on behalf of a designated beneficiary.
(2) Provisions for withdrawals, refunds, transfers, and any penalties.
(3) The terms and conditions for remitting contributions, including, but not limited to, that contributions may be made in cash only.
(4) The name, address, date of birth, and Social Security number of the designated beneficiary on whose behalf the savings account is opened.
(5) Terms and conditions for designation of a substitute beneficiary.
(6) Terms and conditions for termination of the account, including any refunds, withdrawals, or transfers, and applicable penalties, the name of the person entitled to any refund due as a result of termination, and the name of the person entitled to terminate the account.
(7) The time period during which the designated beneficiary is required to use benefits from the ACES Program.
(8) All other rights and obligations of the contributor and the ACES Program.
(9) Any other terms and conditions which the board deems necessary or appropriate, including those necessary to conform the ACES Program and ACES Trust Fund to the requirements of Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, or other applicable federal law.
(b) Each savings agreement made pursuant to this chapter shall provide all of the following:
(1) If, after the specified time period determined by the ACES board under which the designated beneficiary is required to use benefits from the ACES Program, the savings agreement has not been terminated nor the designated beneficiary's rights exercised, the ACES board, after making reasonable effort to contact the contributor, shall presume the savings account monies unclaimed and abandoned property, and thereafter administered in accordance with the Alabama Uniform Disposition of Unclaimed Property Act, Article 2 of Chapter 12 of Title 35.
(2) Participation in the ACES Program does not guarantee that sufficient funds will be available to cover qualified higher education expenses of a designated beneficiary.
(3) Contributions shall be made exclusively for the purpose of meeting the qualified higher education expenses of a designated beneficiary at eligible educational institutions.
(c) Nothing in this chapter shall make any provisions or warranties except as provided in savings agreements, including that a person shall be admitted to, allowed to continue in, graduated from a college or university, or conferred Alabama resident status.
(d) The state or any state agency, county, municipality, or any other employer in the state is hereby authorized, by contract, or otherwise, to agree with any employee to remit contributions through payroll deduction made by the appropriate official of the state, state agency, political subdivision, or other employer under the terms of a savings agreement in the ACES Program.
(Act 2001-427, p. 544, §2; Act 2010-725, p. 1800, §7.)Sections: Previous 16-33C-4.2 16-33C-5 16-33C-6 16-33C-7 16-33C-8 16-33C-9 16-33C-10 16-33C-11 16-33C-12 16-33C-13 16-33C-14 16-33C-15 16-33C-16 16-33C-17 16-33C-18 Next
Last modified: February 19, 2012