Code of Alabama - Title 23: Highways, Roads, Bridges and Ferries - Section 23-2-142 - Definitions
Legal Research Home > Alabama Lawyer
Section 23-2-142 - Definitions.
As used in this article, the following words and terms shall have the meanings, respectively, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) AUTHORITY. The Alabama Toll Road, Bridge, and Tunnel Authority created by this article, or any board, body, or commission succeeding to the principal functions thereof or to which the powers given by this article to the authority shall be given by law.
(2) BONDS or TOLL ROAD, BRIDGE, OR TUNNEL REVENUE BONDS. Bonds of the authority authorized under the provisions of this article.
(3) COST. As applied to a toll road, bridge, or tunnel project, the cost shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
a. The cost of construction, including bridges over or under existing highways and railroads.
b. The cost of the acquisition of all land, rights-of-way, property, rights, easements, and interests acquired by or on behalf of the authority for construction.
c. The cost of demolishing or removing any buildings or structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring any lands to which buildings or structures may be moved.
d. The cost of diverting highways, interchange of highways, and access roads to private property, including the cost of land for easements therefor.
e. The cost of all machinery and equipment.
f. The cost of financing charges, including interest prior to and during construction and for one year after completion of construction.
g. The cost of traffic estimates, feasibility studies, engineering studies, design and other related studies and analyses, and legal fees and expenses.
h. Plans, specifications, surveys, and estimates of cost and of revenues.
i. The cost of other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of constructing a project.
j. The cost of administrative expense and other expense as may be necessary or incident to the construction of a project.
k. The cost of the financing of construction.
l. The cost of placing a project in operation.
m. Any other cost or expenditure necessary or incidental to the construction of a project, the financing of a project, and the placing of a project in operation.
n. Any obligation or expense which may be incurred by the State Department of Transportation for traffic surveys, borings, preparation of plans and specifications, and other engineering services in connection with the planning or construction of a project shall be regarded as a part of the cost of such project and shall be reimbursed to the State Department of Transportation by the authority.
(4) DEPARTMENT. The State Department of Transportation.
(5) PROJECT, TOLL ROAD, BRIDGE, AND TUNNEL PROJECT or TOLL ROAD, BRIDGE, OR TUNNEL PROJECT. Any type of toll road, bridge, causeway, tunnel, or other transportation facility established and constructed or to be constructed by or on behalf of the authority, in conjunction with the department, under this article, and shall include, but shall not be limited to, all toll roads, bridges, causeways, tunnels, overpasses, underpasses, interchanges, entrance plazas, approaches, access roads, toll houses, electronic tolling facilities and equipment, service areas, service stations, service facilities, communication and video and other surveillance facilities, and administration, storage, and other buildings which the authority may deem necessary for the operation of a project, together with all property, rights, easements, and interests which may be acquired by the authority for the construction, operation, and maintenance of a project.
(Acts 1980, No. 80-691, p. 1377, §2; Act 2009-769, p. 2364, §2.)Sections: Previous 23-2-120 23-2-121 23-2-122 23-2-140 23-2-141 23-2-142 23-2-143 23-2-144 23-2-145 23-2-146 23-2-147 23-2-148 23-2-149 23-2-150 23-2-151 Next
Last modified: February 19, 2012