Arizona Revised Statutes - Title 23 Labor - Section 23-230 Definitions
In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Automatic elevator" means a passenger or freight lift operated by push buttons so that the starting, moving, leveling, holding and opening and closing of the doors is entirely automatic.
2. "Clay construction product" means brick, hollow structural tile, sewer pipe, refractories, architectural terra cotta, glazed structural tile, roofing tile, stove lining, chimney pipes and tops, wall coping and drain tile.
3. "Construction" means building, altering, repairing, adding to, subtracting from, improving, moving, wrecking or demolishing a building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other structure, project, development or improvement, including the erection and use of scaffolding or a similar structure and providing mechanical or structural service for a structure, project, development or improvement.
4. "Elevator" means a power-driven hoisting or lowering mechanism equipped with a car or platform which moves in guides in a substantially vertical direction. Elevator does not include dumbwaiters.
5. "Explosive" means ammunition, black powder, blasting caps, fireworks or any substance or combination of substances commonly used for the purpose of detonation and which, on exposure to any external force or condition, is capable of a relatively instantaneous release of gas and heat.
6. "Hazardous agricultural chemicals" means any substance that has a toxicity level that requires manufacturer or distributor labeling as category I, category II and category III toxicity in accordance with the regulations adopted by the administrator pursuant to the federal environmental pesticide control act of 1972, as amended.
7. "Logging" means felling timber, bucking or converting timber into logs, poles, piles, ties, bolts, pulpwood, chemical wood, excelsior wood, cordwood, fence posts or similar products, collecting, skidding, yarding, loading, transporting and unloading such products, constructing, repairing and maintaining roads, railroads, flumes or camps used in connection with logging, moving, installing, rigging and maintenance of machinery or equipment used in logging, operation of a sawmill, lath mill, shingle mill or cooperage stock mill in connection with the storing of logs and bolts, converting logs or bolts into sawed lumber, laths, shingles or cooperage stock and storing, drying and shipping lumber, laths, shingles and cooperage stock or other products of such mills.
8. "Manufacturing" means designing, assembling, fabricating, producing, constructing or preparing a product or part of a product before sale or use.
9. "Mine or quarry" means an underground or surface rock or mineral extracting, placer, dredging or bore-hole operation including all grinding and metal mills, washer plants and any other cutting, crushing, grinding, screening, sizing, washing or cleaning operation performed on extracted rocks or minerals.
10. "Motor vehicle" means an automobile, truck, truck tractor, trailer, semitrailer, motorcycle or similar vehicle propelled or drawn by mechanical power and designed for use as a means of transportation. Motor vehicle does not include a vehicle operated exclusively on rails.
11. "Outside helper" means a person who rides on a motor vehicle other than in the driver or passenger compartment for the purpose of transporting, loading or unloading items.
12. "Power-driven bakery machine" means a horizontal or vertical dough mixer, batter mixer, bread dividing, rounding or molding machine, dough brake, dough sheeter, combination bread slicing and wrapping machine, cake cutting band saw, cookie machine or cracker machine.
13. "Power-driven hoist" means an apparatus for raising or lowering a load by the application of a pulling or pushing force including a crane, derrick or forklift. Power-driven hoist does not include an elevator or an automatic elevator.
14. "Power-driven meat processing machine" means a meat patty forming machine, meat and bone cutting saw or knife, head splitter, guillotine cutter, snout puller, jaw puller, skinning machine, horizontal rotary washing machine, casing cleaning machine, grinding, mixing, chopping and hashing machines and meat presses.
15. "Power-driven metal working, forming, punching or shearing machine" means a machine, other than machine tools, which changes the shape of or cuts metal by means of dies, rolls, knives or similar tools which are mounted on rams, plungers or other moving parts.
16. "Power-driven paper products machine" means a platen die-cutting press, platen printing press, punch press which involves hand feeding of the machine, arm-type wirestitcher or stapler, circular or band saw, corner cutter or mitering machine, corrugating and single or double-lacing machine, envelope die-cutting press, guillotine paper cutter or shear, horizontal bar scorer, laminating or combining machine, sheeting machine, scrap paper baler or vertical slotter or other machine used in the remanufacture or conversion of paper or pulp into a finished product.
17. "Power-driven woodworking machine" means a fixed or portable machine or tool driven by power and used or designed for cutting, shaping, forming, surfacing, nailing, stapling, wire stitching, fastening, assembling, pressing or printing wood or veneer.
18. "Processing" means an activity involving an addition to, subtraction from, change in or cleaning of any food or foodstuff including filleting fish, dressing poultry or cracking nuts.
19. "Radiation" means ionizing radiation including gamma rays, x-rays, alpha and beta particles, high speed electrons, neutrons, protons and other nuclear particles or rays.
20. "Radioactive substance" means a solid, liquid or gaseous material or materials that spontaneously emit radiation.
21. "Roofing" means all work performed in connection with the application of weatherproofing materials and substances, including tar, pitch, asphalt, prepared paper, tile, slate, metal, translucent materials and shingles of asbestos, asphalt or wood, to roofs of buildings and other structures. Roofing includes all work performed in connection with installation of roofs, including related metal work, and alterations, additions, maintenance and repair including painting and coating of roofs.
22. "Silica refractory products" means items produced from raw materials and containing free silica as their main constituent.
23. "Warehousing" means loading, unloading, storing or otherwise moving any item or items to and from trucks, railroad cars, conveyors and buildings.
24. "Wrecking, demolition and shipbreaking" means all work, including cleanup and salvage work, performed on or at the site of the total or partial razing, demolishing or dismantling of a building, bridge, steeple, tower, chimney, other structure, motor vehicle, ship or other vessel.Sections: Previous 23-211 23-212 23-212.01 23-213 23-214 23-215 23-216 23-230 23-231 23-232 23-233 23-234 23-235 23-236 23-237 Next
Last modified: February 19, 2012