Arizona Revised Statutes - Title 33 Property - Section 33-1476 Termination or nonrenewal of rental agreement by landlord; noncompliance with rental agreement by tenant; failure to pay rent
33-1476. Termination or nonrenewal of rental agreement by landlord; noncompliance with rental agreement by tenant; failure to pay rent
A. The landlord shall specify the reason or reasons for the termination or nonrenewal of any tenancy in the mobile home park. The reason or reasons relied on for the termination or nonrenewal shall be stated in writing with specific facts, so that the date, place and circumstances concerning the reason or reasons for termination or nonrenewal can be determined. Reference to or recital of the language of this chapter, or both, is not sufficient compliance with this subsection.
B. The landlord may not terminate or refuse to renew a tenancy without good cause. "Good cause" means:
1. Noncompliance with any provision of the rental agreement.
2. Nonpayment of rent.
3. Change in use of land.
4. Clear and convincing evidence that a tenant has repeatedly violated any provision of this chapter and established a pattern of noncompliance with such provisions.
C. The landlord's right to terminate or to refuse to renew a tenancy pursuant to subsection B of this section does not arise until the landlord has complied with subsection D, E or H of this section.
D. Except as otherwise prohibited by law:
1. If there is a material noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement, the landlord shall deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the acts and omissions constituting the breach and that the rental agreement will terminate upon a date not less than thirty days after receipt of the notice if the breach is not remedied in fourteen days. If the tenant remedies the situation within the time specified in the notice, the landlord shall issue a notice to the tenant releasing the tenant from the termination of rental agreement notice.
2. If there is a noncompliance by the tenant with section 33-1451 materially affecting health and safety, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the acts and omissions constituting the breach and that the rental agreement will terminate upon a date not less than twenty days after receipt of the notice if the breach is not remedied in ten days. However, if the breach is remediable by repair or the payment of damages or otherwise, and the tenant adequately remedies the breach before the date specified in the notice, the rental agreement will not terminate. If the tenant remedies the situation within the time specified in the notice, the landlord shall issue a notice to the tenant releasing the tenant from the termination of rental agreement notice.
3. If there is a noncompliance that is both material and irreparable and that occurs on the premises, including an illegal discharge of a weapon, homicide as prescribed in sections 13-1102 through 13-1105, criminal street gang activity as prescribed in section 13-105, activity as prohibited in section 13-2308, prostitution as defined in section 13-3211, the unlawful manufacturing, selling, transferring, possessing, using or storing of a controlled substance as defined in section 13-3451, threatening or intimidating as prohibited in section 13-1202, infliction of serious bodily harm, assault as prohibited in section 13-1203, criminal activity involving serious property damage or acts that have been found to constitute a nuisance pursuant to section 12-991, the landlord may deliver a written notice for immediate termination of the rental agreement and proceed pursuant to section 33-1485.
4. If a tenant engages in repetitive conduct that is the subject of notices under this subsection, after two incidents of the same type documented by the landlord within a twelve month period or after receipt by the landlord of two written complaints from other tenants about the repetitive conduct within a twelve month period, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the repetitive conduct and the documentation and advising the tenant that on documentation of the next incident of the same type final notice will be given and the rental agreement or tenancy will be terminated thirty days after the date of the notice.
5. If a tenant has been involved in three or more documented incidents of conduct of any type described in this section within a twelve month period, the landlord may deliver a written notice to the tenant specifying the conduct and the documentation and advising the tenant that on documentation of the next incident final notice will be given and the rental agreement or tenancy will be terminated thirty days after the date of the notice.
E. If rent is unpaid when due and the tenant fails to pay rent within seven days after written notice by the landlord of nonpayment and the landlord's intention to terminate the rental agreement if the rent is not paid within that period of time, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement. Before judgment in an action brought by the landlord under this subsection, the tenant may have the rental agreement reinstated by tendering the past due but unpaid periodic rent, reasonable attorney's fees incurred by the landlord and court costs, if any.
F. Except as provided in this chapter, the landlord may recover actual damages, obtain injunctive relief or recover possession of the premises pursuant to an action in forcible detainer for repeated noncompliance by the tenant with the rental agreement or section 33-1451.
G. The remedy provided in subsection F of this section is in addition to any right of the landlord arising under subsection D of this section.
H. If a change in use is intended for the land on which a mobile home park or a portion of a mobile home park is located and the landlord intends eviction of a mobile home tenant due to a change in use, the landlord shall notify all tenants in the park in writing that:
1. The change in use may subsequently result in the termination of a rental agreement.
2. The tenant being terminated due to the change in use will receive a one hundred eighty day notice before the actual termination of the rental agreement.Sections: Previous 33-1453 33-1454 33-1471 33-1472 33-1473 33-1474 33-1475 33-1476 33-1476.01 33-1476.02 33-1476.03 33-1476.04 33-1476.05 33-1477 33-1478 Next
Last modified: August 20, 2013