Arizona Revised Statutes - Title 41 State Government - Section 41-2170.03 Markings; requirements; fire marshal approval
41-2170.03. Markings; requirements; fire marshal approval
A. A manufacturer shall mark cigarettes that are certified pursuant to section 41-2170.02 to indicate compliance with section 41-2170.01. The marking shall be in at least eight point type and shall consist of either:
1. Modification of the product UPC code to include a visible mark printed at or around the area of the UPC code. The mark may consist of alphanumeric or symbolic characters permanently stamped, engraved, embossed or printed in conjunction with the UPC code.
2. Any visible combination of alphanumeric or symbolic characters permanently stamped, engraved or embossed on the cigarette package or cellophane wrap.
3. Printed, stamped, engraved or embossed text that indicates that the cigarettes meet the standards of this section.
B. A manufacturer shall use only one marking and shall apply this marking uniformly for all packages, including packs, cartons and cases, and brands marketed by that manufacturer.
C. Before the certification of any cigarette, a manufacturer shall present its proposed marking to the state fire marshal for approval. Proposed markings are deemed approved if the state fire marshal fails to act within ten business days after receiving a request for approval. On receipt of the request, the state fire marshal shall approve or disapprove the marking offered, except that the state fire marshal shall approve either of the following:
1. Any marking in use and approved for sale in New York state pursuant to the New York fire safety standards for cigarettes in section 156-c of the New York executive law and part 429 of title 19 of the New York Code of Rules and Regulations.
2. The letters "FSC", which signify fire standards compliant, appearing in eight point type or larger and permanently printed, stamped, engraved or embossed on the package at or near the UPC code.
D. A manufacturer shall not modify its approved marking unless the modification has been approved by the state fire marshal pursuant to this section.
E. Manufacturers certifying cigarettes pursuant to section 41-2170.02 shall provide a copy of the certifications to all wholesalers and agents to whom they sell cigarettes and shall also provide sufficient copies of an illustration of the package marking used by the manufacturer pursuant to this section for each retailer to whom the wholesalers or agents sell cigarettes. Wholesalers and agents shall provide a copy of these package markings received from manufacturers to all retailers to whom they sell cigarettes. Wholesalers, agents and retailers shall permit the state fire marshal, the department of revenue or the attorney general, or their employees, to inspect markings of cigarette packaging marked pursuant to this section.
F. This section applies beginning August 1, 2009.Sections: Previous 41-2167 41-2168 41-2169 41-2169.01 41-2170 41-2170.01 41-2170.02 41-2170.03 41-2170.04 41-2170.05 41-2170.06 41-2170.07 41-2170.08 41-2171 41-2172 Next
Last modified: February 20, 2012