Arizona Revised Statutes § 32-741.04 Relinquishment Of Certificate With Disciplinary Proceedings Pending; Qualifications For New Certificate

32-741.04. Relinquishment of certificate with disciplinary proceedings pending; qualifications for new certificate

A. A certified public accountant or public accountant may relinquish the individual's certificate pending or in lieu of an investigation or disciplinary proceedings or while under a disciplinary order. The board shall consider a relinquishment tendered by a certified public accountant or public accountant pursuant to this section and shall determine whether to accept the relinquishment. The board shall issue an order documenting its decision.

B. An individual whose certificate has been relinquished shall not assume or use the title or designation of " certified public accountant" or " public accountant" or the abbreviation " C.P.A." , " CPA" , " P.A." or " PA" .

C. An individual who relinquishes a certificate pursuant to this section may apply for reinstatement and the board may issue a new certificate if the individual does all of the following:

1. Files an application for reinstatement on the form prescribed by the board and pays the reinstatement application fee pursuant to section 32-729.

2. Demonstrates through substantial evidence presented to the board that the individual is completely rehabilitated with respect to the conduct that was pending at the time of relinquishment. Demonstration of rehabilitation shall include evidence of the following:

(a) The individual has not engaged in any conduct during the relinquishment period that, if the individual had been registered during the period, would have constituted a basis for revocation or suspension pursuant to section 32-741.

(b) With respect to any criminal conviction that constitutes any part of the basis for the relinquishment, civil rights have been fully restored pursuant to statute or an applicable recognized judicial or gubernatorial order.

(c) The individual has addressed or remedied any complaints, investigations or board-ordered requirements that are pending or outstanding at the time of relinquishment.

(d) The individual has made restitution as ordered by the board or by a court of competent jurisdiction as a result of the individual's violation of this chapter or rules adopted pursuant to this chapter.

(e) Other evidence of rehabilitation that the board deems appropriate.

3. Submits proof that the individual has satisfied continuing education requirements as prescribed by the board.

4. If not waived by the board, presents satisfactory evidence from an accredited institution or a college or university that maintains standards comparable to those of an accredited institution that the individual has completed at least one hundred fifty semester hours of education as follows:

(a) At least thirty-six semester hours are accounting courses of which at least thirty semester hours are upper-level courses.

(b) At least thirty semester hours are related courses.

5. If prescribed by the board, presents evidence that the individual has retaken and passed the uniform certified public accountant examination.

6. On board approval of reinstatement, pays the registration fee pursuant to section 32-729.

D. If the board accepts the relinquishment of a certificate of a certified public accountant or public accountant, the person shall return the certificate to the board and shall attach to the certificate a document that is signed and dated and that is in substantially the following form:

I, (insert name of registrant), acknowledge that disciplinary proceedings have been initiated against me pursuant to title 32, chapter 6, article 3, Arizona Revised Statutes, and I relinquish my right to practice accounting as a (insert either " certified public accountant" or " public accountant" ) in the state of Arizona. I understand that if I choose to apply for a new certificate, I must meet all requirements for certification pursuant to section 32-741.04, Arizona Revised Statutes. I further understand that, in deciding whether to issue a new certificate to me, the board will consider all disciplinary actions currently pending against me and any other matters it determines to be appropriate.

Section: Previous  32-730.03  32-730.04  32-731  32-741  32-741.01  32-741.02  32-741.03  32-741.04  32-742  32-742.01  32-743  32-744  32-745  32-746  32-747  Next

Last modified: October 13, 2016