Arizona Revised Statutes - Title 45 Waters - Section 45-2427 Limitation on powers
45-2427. Limitation on powers
A. This chapter does not authorize the authority to exercise any right of eminent domain.
B. Except as provided in subsection E of this section:
1. The authority shall not store Colorado river water that would otherwise have been used in this state pursuant to a contract entered into pursuant to section 48-3703, paragraph 2, a section 5 contract under the Boulder Canyon project act (P.L. 108-6; 43 United States Code section 617) with a priority that is equal to or higher than a contract entered into pursuant to section 48-3703, paragraph 2 or any other section 5 contract under the Boulder Canyon project act entered into before September 18, 2003.
2. The authority shall not store for interstate water banking purposes Colorado river water that would otherwise have been used in this state.
C. The authority shall not enter into contracts with agencies in California and Nevada for the storage of water on their behalf until both of the following occur:
1. Regulations are in effect, promulgated by the secretary of the interior of the United States, that facilitate and allow the contractual distribution of unused entitlement under article II(b)(6) of the decree.
2. The director finds that the rules promulgated by the secretary of the interior adequately protect this state's rights to Colorado river water, as those rights are defined by the decree.
D. The authority shall not enter into water banking services agreements that will provide water for use outside this state. The authority may cancel any water banking services agreement without penalty or further obligation if after entering into a water banking services agreement, the authority finds that the agreement will provide water for use outside of this state. Notice of this subsection shall be included in every water banking services agreement entered into by the authority. The cancellation under this subsection shall be effective when written notice from the authority is received by all other parties to the water banking services agreement.
E. The authority may obtain and store or replenish, as applicable, any of the following excess central Arizona project water supplies as designated by CAWCD:
1. Any excess central Arizona project water made available by CAWCD in a year exclusively for the authority. The authority shall use any excess central Arizona project water obtained pursuant to this paragraph in a manner consistent with articles 3 and 5 of this chapter or chapter 15, article 3 of this title, including meeting Indian firming obligations, replenishing water under the Gila river Indian water settlement program and storing water for municipal and industrial purposes in times of shortage.
2. Any excess central Arizona project water made available by CAWCD in a year for the purpose of storing water to meet a contractual obligation of the authority under an interstate water banking agreement entered into pursuant to article 4 of this chapter if the excess central Arizona project water resulted from the acquisition of additional Colorado river water by CAWCD using monies contributed by the authority.Sections: Previous 45-2402 45-2421 45-2422 45-2423 45-2424 45-2425 45-2426 45-2427 45-2451 45-2452 45-2453 45-2454 45-2455 45-2456 45-2457 Next
Last modified: February 20, 2012