California Health and Safety Code Section 11162.1
Legal Research Home >
California Laws > Health and Safety Code > California Health and Safety Code Section 11162.1
11162.1. (a) The prescription forms for controlled substances shall
be printed with the following features:
(1) A latent, repetitive "void" pattern shall be printed across
the entire front of the prescription blank; if a prescription is
scanned or photocopied, the word "void" shall appear in a pattern
across the entire front of the prescription.
(2) A watermark shall be printed on the backside of the
prescription blank; the watermark shall consist of the words
"California Security Prescription."
(3) A chemical void protection that prevents alteration by
(4) A feature printed in thermochromic ink.
(5) An area of opaque writing so that the writing disappears if
the prescription is lightened.
(6) A description of the security features included on each
(7) (A) Six quantity check off boxes shall be printed on the form
so that the prescriber may indicate the quantity by checking the
applicable box where the following quantities shall appear:
151 and over.
(B) In conjunction with the quantity boxes, a space shall be
provided to designate the units referenced in the quantity boxes when
the drug is not in tablet or capsule form.
(8) Prescription blanks shall contain a statement printed on the
bottom of the prescription blank that the "Prescription is void if
the number of drugs prescribed is not noted."
(9) The preprinted name, category of licensure, license number,
federal controlled substance registration number, and address of the
(10) Check boxes shall be printed on the form so that the
prescriber may indicate the number of refills ordered.
(11) The date of origin of the prescription.
(12) A check box indicating the prescriber's order not to
(13) An identifying number assigned to the approved security
printer by the Department of Justice.
(14) (A) A check box by the name of each prescriber when a
prescription form lists multiple prescribers.
(B) Each prescriber who signs the prescription form shall identify
himself or herself as the prescriber by checking the box by his or
(b) Each batch of controlled substance prescription forms shall
have the lot number printed on the form and each form within that
batch shall be numbered sequentially beginning with the numeral one.
(c) (1) A prescriber designated by a licensed health care
facility, a clinic specified in Section 1200, or a clinic specified
in subdivision (a) of Section 1206 that has 25 or more physicians or
surgeons may order controlled substance prescription forms for use by
prescribers when treating patients in that facility without the
information required in paragraph (9) of subdivision (a) or paragraph
(3) of this subdivision.
(2) Forms ordered pursuant to this subdivision shall have the
name, category of licensure, license number, and federal controlled
substance registration number of the designated prescriber and the
name, address, category of licensure, and license number of the
licensed health care facility the clinic specified in Section 1200,
or the clinic specified in Section 1206 that has 25 or more
physicians or surgeons preprinted on the form. Licensed health care
facilities or clinics exempt under Section 1206 are not required to
preprint the category of licensure and license number of their
facility or clinic.
(3) Forms ordered pursuant to this section shall not be valid
prescriptions without the name, category of licensure, license
number, and federal controlled substance registration number of the
prescriber on the form.
(4) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), the designated
prescriber shall maintain a record of the prescribers to whom the
controlled substance prescription forms are issued, that shall
include the name, category of licensure, license number, federal
controlled substance registration number, and quantity of controlled
substance prescription forms issued to each prescriber. The record
shall be maintained in the health facility for three years.
(B) Forms ordered pursuant to this subdivision that are printed by
a computerized prescription generation system shall not be subject
to subparagraph (A) or paragraph (7) of subdivision (a). Forms
printed pursuant to this subdivision that are printed by a
computerized prescription generation system may contain the
prescriber's name, category of professional licensure, license
number, federal controlled substance registration number, and the
date of the prescription.
(d) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2012.
Prescription forms not in compliance with this division shall not be
valid or accepted after July 1, 2012.
Last modified: February 22, 2013