Florida Laws: FL Statutes - Title XXXII Regulation of Professions and Occupations Section 467.001 Short title.
467.003 Definitions.—As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Approved program" means a midwifery school or a midwifery training program which is approved by the department pursuant to s. 467.205.
(2) "Certified nurse midwife" means a person who is licensed as an advanced registered nurse practitioner under part I of chapter 464 and who is certified to practice midwifery by the American College of Nurse Midwives.
(3) "Council" means the Council of Licensed Midwifery.
(4) "Department" means the Department of Health.
(5) "Intrapartal" means occurring during the process of giving birth.
(6) "Licensure" means authorization and license granted by the department for a person to engage in the practice of midwifery.
(7) "Midwife" means any person not less than 21 years of age, other than a licensed physician or certified nurse midwife, who is licensed under this chapter to supervise the birth of a child.
(8) "Midwifery" means the practice of supervising the conduct of a normal labor and childbirth, with the informed consent of the parent; the practice of advising the parents as to the progress of the childbirth; and the practice of rendering prenatal and postpartal care.
(9) "Normal labor and childbirth" means the physiological process of a healthy woman giving birth to a healthy infant and expelling an intact placenta, without injury, complications, or undue strain to the mother.
(10) "Physician" means a person licensed to practice medicine as authorized in chapter 458 or chapter 459.
(11) "Postpartal" or "postpartum" means existing or occurring subsequent to birth.
(12) "Preceptor" means a physician, a licensed midwife, or a certified nurse midwife, who has a minimum of 3 years’ professional experience, and who directs, teaches, supervises, and evaluates the learning experiences of the student midwife.
(13) "Prenatal" or "antepartal" means occurring during pregnancy up to the point of onset of labor.
(14) "Stillbirth" means the death of a fetus of more than 20 weeks’ gestation.
History.—ss. 1, 3, ch. 82-99; ss. 2, 8, ch. 84-268; ss. 4, 5, ch. 91-429; ss. 2, 19, ch. 92-179; s. 128, ch. 94-218; s. 74, ch. 98-166; s. 131, ch. 2000-318; s. 87, ch. 2008-6.
Last modified: May 31, 2013