Georgia Commercial Code - Title 11, Section 11-9-502
Contents of financing statement; real estate mortgages as fixture filings; time of filing financing statement
(a) Sufficiency of financing statement. Subject to subsection (b) of this Code section, a financing statement is sufficient only if it:
(1) Provides the name of the debtor;
(2) Provides the name of the secured party or a representative of the secured party;
(3) Indicates the collateral covered by the financing statement; and
(4) Where both (A) the collateral described consists only of consumer goods as defined in paragraph (24) of subsection (a) of Code Section 11-9-102 and (B) the secured obligation is originally $5,000.00 or less, gives the maturity date of the secured obligation or specifies that such obligation is not subject to a maturity date.
(b) Real property related financing statements. Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b) of Code Section 11-9-501, to be sufficient, a financing statement that covers as-extracted collateral, growing crops, or timber to be cut, or which is filed as a fixture filing and covers goods that are or are to become fixtures, must satisfy subsection (a) of this Code section and also:
(1) Indicate that it covers this type of collateral;
(2) Indicate that it is to be filed for record in the real property records;
(3) Provide a description of the real property to which the collateral is related sufficient to give constructive notice of a mortgage under the law of this state if the description were contained in a record of the mortgage of the real property; and
(4) If the debtor does not have an interest of record in the real property, provide the name of a record owner.
(c) Real estate mortgages as fixture filings. A real estate mortgage may not be filed as a fixture filing, but one filed prior to January 1, 1995, which was effective as a fixture filing when filed, remains effective as a fixture filing until the mortgage is released or satisfied of record or its effectiveness otherwise terminates as to the real estate.
(d) Filing before security agreement or attachment. A financing statement may be filed before a security agreement is made or a security interest otherwise attaches.
Last modified: May 3, 2006