Michigan Housing and Community Development Program; Creation and Implementation; Purpose; Availability of Financing to Eligible Applicants; Biennial Allocation Plan; Public Hearings; Annual Report; Rules - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 125.1458b
Legal Research Home > Michigan Laws > Planning, Housing, And Zoning > Michigan Housing and Community Development Program; Creation and Implementation; Purpose; Availability of Financing to Eligible Applicants; Biennial Allocation Plan; Public Hearings; Annual Report; Rules - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 125.1458b
(1) The authority shall create and implement the Michigan housing and community development program for the purpose of developing and coordinating public and private resources to meet the housing needs of low income, very low income, and extremely low income households and to finance projects located in a downtown area or adjacent neighborhood in this state.
(2) The authority shall identify, select, and make financing available to eligible applicants from money in the fund or from money secured by the fund for housing for low income, very low income, and extremely low income households and for projects located in a downtown area or adjacent neighborhood. This subsection does not preclude the authority from using other resources in conjunction with the fund for a purpose authorized under this chapter.
(3) The authority shall develop a biennial allocation plan providing for the allocation of money from the fund, according to all of the following:
(a) The allocation plan shall contain a formula for distributing money throughout the state based on the number of persons experiencing poverty, economic, and housing distress in various regions of the state.
(b) The allocation plan shall include a preference for special population groups described in section 58c(2).
(c) Not less than 25% of the fund shall be earmarked for rental housing projects that do not qualify under preferences for special population groups or other preferences contained in the allocation plan.
(d) Not less than 30% of the fund shall be earmarked for projects that target extremely low income households and include at a minimum developing housing for the homeless, supportive housing, transitional housing, and permanent housing.
(e) A rental housing project assisted by the fund must set aside at least 20% of the rental units included in the project for households earning no more than 60% of the area median income.
(f) A home ownership project assisted by the fund must set aside at least 20% of the housing units in the project for households earning no more than 60% of the area median income.
(g) Money that has not been committed at the end of a fiscal year shall not be carried over in the category to which the money had been allocated during that fiscal year, but shall be reallocated for the next fiscal year according to the next fiscal year's allocation plan.
(5) Prior to developing the biennial allocation plan, the authority shall hold public hearings in at least 3 separate locations in this state regarding the content of the biennial allocation plan. The authority may make modifications to the allocation plan necessary to facilitate the administration of the Michigan housing and community development program or to address unforeseen circumstances.
(6) The authority shall issue an annual report to the governor and the legislature summarizing the expenditures of the fund for the prior fiscal year including at a minimum a description of the eligible applicants that received funding, the number of housing units that were produced, the income levels of the households that were served, the number of homeless persons served, and the number of downtown areas and adjacent neighborhoods that receive financing.
(7) The authority may promulgate rules under the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328, to implement this chapter.
Section: Previous 125.1453 125.1454 125.1455 125.1456 125.1457 125.1458 125.1458a 125.1458b 125.1458c 125.1458d 125.1458e 125.1458f 125.1459 125.1459a 125.1461 Next
Last modified: March 17, 2013