Planned Unit Development - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 125.3503
(1) As used in this section, "planned unit development" includes such terms as cluster zoning, planned development, community unit plan, and planned residential development and other terminology denoting zoning requirements designed to accomplish the objectives of the zoning ordinance through a land development project review process based on the application of site planning criteria to achieve integration of the proposed land development project with the characteristics of the project area.
(2) The legislative body may establish planned unit development requirements in a zoning ordinance that permit flexibility in the regulation of land development, encourage innovation in land use and variety in design, layout, and type of structures constructed, achieve economy and efficiency in the use of land, natural resources, energy, and the provision of public services and utilities, encourage useful open space, and provide better housing, employment, and shopping opportunities particularly suited to the needs of the residents of this state. The review and approval of planned unit developments shall be by the zoning commission, an individual charged with administration of the zoning ordinance, or the legislative body, as specified in the zoning ordinance.
(3) Within a land development project designated as a planned unit development, regulations relating to the use of land, including, but not limited to, permitted uses, lot sizes, setbacks, height limits, required facilities, buffers, open space areas, and land use density, shall be determined in accordance with the planned unit development regulations specified in the zoning ordinance. The planned unit development regulations need not be uniform with regard to each type of land use if equitable procedures recognizing due process principles and avoiding arbitrary decisions are followed in making regulatory decisions. Unless explicitly prohibited by the planned unit development regulations, if requested by the landowner, a local unit of government may approve a planned unit development with open space that is not contiguous with the rest of the planned unit development.
(4) The planned unit development regulations established by the local unit of government shall specify all of the following:
(a) The body or official responsible for the review and approval of planned unit development requests.
(b) The conditions that create planned unit development eligibility, the participants in the review process, and the requirements and standards upon which applicants will be reviewed and approval granted.
(c) The procedures required for application, review, and approval.
(5) Following receipt of a request to approve a planned unit development, the body or official responsible for the review and approval shall hold at least 1 public hearing on the request. A zoning ordinance may provide for preapplication conferences before submission of a planned unit development request and the submission of preliminary site plans before the public hearing. Notification of the public hearing shall be given in the same manner as required under section 103.
(6) Within a reasonable time following the public hearing, the body or official responsible for approving planned unit developments shall meet for final consideration of the request and deny, approve, or approve with conditions the request. The body or official shall prepare a report stating its conclusions, its decision, the basis for its decision, and any conditions imposed on an affirmative decision.
(7) If amendment of a zoning ordinance is required by the planned unit development regulations of a zoning ordinance, the requirements of this act for amendment of a zoning ordinance shall be followed, except that the hearing and notice required by this section shall fulfill the public hearing and notice requirements of section 306.
(8)If the planned unit development regulations of a zoning ordinance do not require amendment of the zoning ordinance to authorize a planned unit development, the body or official responsible for review and approval shall approve, approve with conditions, or deny a request.
(9)Final approval may be granted on each phase of a multiphased planned unit development if each phase contains the necessary components to insure protection of natural resources and the health, safety, and welfare of the users of the planned unit development and the residents of the surrounding area.
(10)In establishing planned unit development requirements, a local unit of government may incorporate by reference other ordinances or statutes which regulate land development. The planned unit development regulations contained in zoning ordinances shall encourage complementary relationships between zoning regulations and other regulations affecting the development of land.
Section: Previous 125.3403 125.3404 125.3405 125.3406 125.3407 125.3501 125.3502 125.3503 125.3504 125.3505 125.3506 125.3507 125.3508 125.3509 125.3513 Next
Last modified: March 17, 2013