Business Improvement Zone as Public Body Corporate; Powers; Authority - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 125.990a
(1) A business improvement zone is a public body corporate and may do 1 or more of the following for the benefit of property owners located in the business improvement zone:
(a) Acquire, through purchase, lease, or gift, construct, develop, improve, maintain, operate, or reconstruct park areas, planting areas, and related facilities within the zone area.
(b) Acquire, construct, clean, improve, maintain, reconstruct, or relocate sidewalks, street curbing, street medians, fountains, and lighting within the zone area.
(c) Develop and propose lighting standards within the zone area.
(d) Acquire, plant, and maintain trees, shrubs, flowers, or other vegetation within the zone area.
(e) Provide or contract for security services with other public or private entities and purchase equipment or technology related to security services within the zone area.
(f) Promote and sponsor cultural or recreational activities.
(g) Engage in economic development activities, including, but not limited to, promotion of business, retail, or industrial development, developer recruitment, business recruitment, business marketing, business retention, public relations efforts, and market research.
(h) Engage in other activity with the purpose to enhance the economic prosperity, enjoyment, appearance, image, and safety of the zone area.
(i) Acquire by purchase or gift, maintain, or operate real or personal property necessary to implement this chapter.
(j) Solicit and accept gifts or grants to further the zone plan.
(k) Sue or be sued.
(2) A business improvement zone may contract with a nonprofit corporation or any other public or private entity and may pay a reasonable fee to the nonprofit corporation or other public or private entity for services provided.
(3) A business improvement zone has the authority to borrow money in anticipation of the receipt of assessments if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(a) The loan will not be requested or authorized, or will not mature, within 90 days before the expiration of the 7-year period.
(b) The amount of the loan does not exceed 50% of the annual average assessment revenue of the business improvement zone during the previous year or, in the case of a business improvement zone that has been in existence for less than 1 year, the loan does not exceed 25% of the projected annual assessment revenue.
(c) The loan repayment period does not extend beyond the 7-year period.
(d) The loan is subject to the revised municipal finance act, 2001 PA 34, MCL 141.2101 to 141.2821.
(4) The services provided by and projects of a business improvement zone are services and projects of the business improvement zone and are not services, functions, or projects of the municipality in which the business improvement zone is located. The services provided by and projects of a business improvement zone are supplemental to the services, projects, and functions of the city or village in which the business improvement zone is located.
(5) The business improvement zone has no other authority than the authority described in this act.
Section: Previous 125.982 125.983 125.984 125.985 125.986 125.987 125.990 125.990a 125.990b 125.990c 125.990d 125.990e 125.990f 125.990g 125.990h Next
Last modified: March 17, 2013