Definitions; Hearing Where Witness Testifies as Alleged Victim of Sexual, Physical, or Psychological Abuse; Use of Dolls or Mannequins; Support Person; Notice; Ruling on Objection; Exclusion of Persons Not Necessary to Proceeding; Section Additional to Other Protections or Procedures - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 24.275a
Legal Research Home > Michigan Laws > Printing And State Documents > Definitions; Hearing Where Witness Testifies as Alleged Victim of Sexual, Physical, or Psychological Abuse; Use of Dolls or Mannequins; Support Person; Notice; Ruling on Objection; Exclusion of Persons Not Necessary to Proceeding; Section Additional to Other Protections or Procedures - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 24.275a
(1) As used in this section:
(a) "Developmental disability" means that term as defined in section 100a of the mental health code, 1974 PA 258, MCL 330.1100a except that, for the purposes of implementing this section, developmental disability includes only a condition that is attributable to a mental impairment or to a combination of mental and physical impairments, and does not include a condition attributable to a physical impairment unaccompanied by a mental impairment.
(b) "Witness" means an alleged victim under subsection (2) who is either of the following:
(i) A person under 16 years of age.
(ii) A person 16 years of age or older with a developmental disability.
(2) This section only applies to a contested case in which a witness testifies as an alleged victim of sexual, physical, or psychological abuse. As used in this subsection, "psychological abuse" means an injury to the witness's mental condition or welfare that is not necessarily permanent but results in substantial and protracted, visibly demonstrable manifestations of mental distress.
(3) If pertinent, the witness shall be permitted the use of dolls or mannequins, including, but not limited to, anatomically correct dolls or mannequins, to assist the witness in testifying on direct and cross-examination.
(4) A witness who is called upon to testify shall be permitted to have a support person sit with, accompany, or be in close proximity to the witness during his or her testimony. A notice of intent to use a support person shall name the support person, identify the relationship the support person has with the witness, and give notice to all parties to the proceeding that the witness may request that the named support person sit with the witness when the witness is called upon to testify during any stage of the proceeding. The notice of intent to use a named support person shall be served upon all parties to the proceeding. The agency shall rule on any objection to the use of a named support person prior to the date at which the witness desires to use the support person.
(5) In a hearing under this section, all persons not necessary to the proceeding shall be excluded during the witness's testimony.
(6) This section is in addition to other protections or procedures afforded to a witness by law or court rule.
Section: Previous 24.263 24.264 24.271 24.272 24.273 24.274 24.275 24.275a 24.276 24.277 24.278 24.279 24.280 24.281 24.282 Next
Last modified: March 17, 2013