Special Registration Plate for Member or Spouse of Member of National Guard, Reserve, or Branch of Armed Services Called to Active Duty During Declared War or Armed Conflict; Display of Vignette; Inscription; Application Form; Proof; Fee; Issuance; Tab for Persons With Disabilities; Tax; Misdemeanor; Expiration; Renewal - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 257.803o
(1) On and after December 18, 1992, a person who was a member or a person whose spouse was a member of the Michigan national guard, the United States armed forces reserve, or any branch of the armed services of the United States and who was called to active duty during a declared war or an armed conflict in which the United States was a participant may apply to the secretary of state for a special registration plate, which shall display an appropriate vignette preceding the registration numbers and shall have the word "veteran" inscribed beneath the registration numbers.
(2) Application for a special registration plate shall be on a form prescribed by the secretary of state, and shall be accompanied by any proof of the applicant or applicant's spouse having been a veteran of a declared war or an armed conflict in which the United States was a participant that the secretary of state may require. The application for a special registration plate shall also be accompanied with payment of a $5.00 service fee.
(3) Upon proper application and payment of the $5.00 service fee, the secretary of state shall issue 1 or more special registration plates for each applicant for use on a passenger vehicle. A person who is disabled who applies for a special registration plate under this section and who pays the $5.00 service fee shall be issued a tab for persons with disabilities as provided in section 803f for his or her special registration plate. The secretary of state shall require the same proof that the applicant is a disabled person as is required for issuance of a permanent windshield placard under section 675. A person issued 1 or more special registration plates under subsection (1) shall be assessed the applicable tax provided in section 801.
(4) The use of a special registration plate on a vehicle other than the vehicle for which the plate is issued, or by a person who does not qualify under this section, is a misdemeanor.
(5) The special registration plate issued under this section shall expire on the birthday of the vehicle owner. When new plates are issued by the secretary of state, application for renewal of the special registration plate shall be accompanied by a $5.00 service fee. The applicant shall not be required to furnish the proof provided in subsection (2).
Section: Previous 257.803h 257.803i 257.803j 257.803k 257.803l 257.803m 257.803n 257.803o 257.803p 257.803q 257.803r 257.804 257.805 257.806 257.807 Next
History: Add. 1992, Act 280, Imd. Eff. Dec. 18, 1992 ;-- Am. 1994, Act 104, Eff. Oct. 1, 1994 ;-- Am. 1998, Act 68, Imd. Eff. May 4, 1998 ;-- Am. 1999, Act 183, Imd. Eff. Nov. 24, 1999
Last modified: January 28, 2015