Possessing, Carrying, or Attempting to Possess Certain Items in Sterile Area of Airport; Prohibitions; Violations; Penalties; Exceptions; Other Violations; Consecutive Terms of Imprisonment; Definitions - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 259.80f
Legal Research Home > Michigan Laws > Aviation > Possessing, Carrying, or Attempting to Possess Certain Items in Sterile Area of Airport; Prohibitions; Violations; Penalties; Exceptions; Other Violations; Consecutive Terms of Imprisonment; Definitions - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 259.80f
(1) An individual shall not possess, carry, or attempt to possess or carry any of the following in a sterile area of a commercial airport:
(c) Knife with a blade of any length.
(d) Razor, box cutter, or item with a similar blade.
(e) Dangerous weapon.
(2) Except as provided in subsection (3), an individual who violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.
(3) An individual who violates subsection (1) while doing any of the following is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 10 years or a fine of not more than $10,000.00, or both:
(a) Getting on or attempting to get on an aircraft.
(b) Placing, attempting to place, or attempting to have placed on an aircraft an item listed in subsection (1).
(c) Committing or attempting to commit a felony.
(4) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A peace officer of a duly authorized police agency of this state, a political subdivision of this state, another state, a political subdivision of another state, or the United States.
(b) An individual regularly employed by the department of corrections and authorized in writing by the director of the department of corrections to possess or carry an item listed in subsection (1) during the performance of his or her duties or while going to or returning from his or her duties.
(c) A member of the United States army, air force, navy, marine corps, or coast guard while possessing or carrying an item listed in subsection (1) in the line of duty.
(d) A member of the national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization while on duty or drill or while possessing or carrying an item listed in subsection (1) for purposes of that military organization.
(e) Security personnel employed to enforce federal regulations for access to a sterile area.
(f) A court officer while engaged in his or her duties as a court officer as authorized by a court.
(g) An airline or airport employee as authorized by his or her employer.
(5) This section does not prohibit the individual from being charged with, convicted of, or punished for any other violation of law committed by that individual while violating this section.
(6) A term of imprisonment imposed under this section may be served consecutively to any other term of imprisonment imposed for a violation of law arising out of the same transaction.
(7) As used in this section:
(a) "Commercial airport" means an airport that has regularly scheduled commercial flights to and from other destinations.
(b) "Felony" means that term as defined in section 1 of chapter I of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 761.1, or a violation of a law of the United States that is designated as a felony or that is punishable by death or by imprisonment for more than 1 year.
(c) "Sterile area" means that term as defined in 14 C.F.R. 107.1.
Section: Previous 259.79a 259.80 259.80a 259.80b 259.80c 259.80d 259.80e 259.80f 259.80g 259.80h 259.82 259.83 259.83a 259.83b 259.84a Next
Last modified: March 17, 2013