Farm Tank; Requirements - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 288.535
(1) A farm tank on a dairy farm shall be installed so as to remain level at all times.
(2) A farm tank shall have an accurate indicating thermometer stored in the milkhouse which may be either an integral thermometer in the farm tank or an approved thermometer acceptable to the director.
(3) A farm tank shall have a calibrated means of measurement and an accurate and legible volume to weight conversion chart unless the farm tank is mounted on an accurate scale. All measuring devices must be in compliance with the weights and measures act of 1964, 1964 PA 283, MCL 290.601 to 290.634.
(4) A conversion chart shall bear the same serial number as that found on the farm tank and measuring rod.
(5) The producer is responsible for recalibrating a farm tank that does not have an accurate conversion chart. A recalibration must be in compliance with the weights and measures act of 1964, 1964 PA 283, MCL 290.601 to 290.634. A person shall not adjust, alter, or change a conversion chart unless the change, alteration, or adjustment is made strictly according to the requirements of the weights and measures act of 1964, 1964 PA 283, MCL 290.601 to 290.634.
(6) A farm tank shall not be filled to a capacity that exceeds the calibrated limits as indicated by the conversion chart. If the producer wishes to fill the tank nearer to the top, the tank shall be calibrated to an additional height that still permits proper agitation without spillage.
(7) Milk to be offered for sale shall be cooled and stored in the farm tank equipped with cooling and agitation. Other cooling and storage vessels may be used when approved in writing by the director on a case-by-case basis.
(8) Milk production shall be of sufficient quantity so that it can be properly agitated not later than at the completion of the first milking into the farm tank.
(9) Facilities for effectively sanitizing farm tanks shall be provided by the producer.
(10) Nonelectric farms shall provide battery powered lighting for farm tanks that will adequately illuminate each farm tank opening. Fuels used for milkhouse operations shall not cause odors that may impart off-flavors.
Section: Previous 288.523 288.524 288.530 288.531 288.532 288.533 288.534 288.535 288.536 288.537 288.538 288.539 288.540 288.561 288.570 Next
Last modified: March 17, 2013