Hiring of Teachers; Teachers' Contracts Generally - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 380.1231
(1) The board of a school district shall hire and contract with qualified teachers. Contracts with teachers shall be in writing and signed on behalf of the school district by a majority of the board, by the president and secretary of the board, or by the superintendent of schools or an authorized representative of the board. The contracts shall specify the wages agreed upon.
(2) A teacher's contract shall be filed with the secretary of the board and a duplicate copy of the contract shall be furnished to the teacher.
(3) Except as otherwise provided under this act, a contract with a teacher is not valid unless the person holds a valid teaching certificate at the time the contractual period begins. A contract shall terminate if the certificate expires by limitation and is not renewed immediately or if it is suspended or revoked by proper legal authority.
(4) The board of a school district, after a teacher has been employed at least 2 consecutive years by the board, may enter into a continuing contract with a certificated teacher.
(5) As used in this section, "teacher" does not include a substitute teacher.
Section: Previous 380.1230b 380.1230c 380.1230d 380.1230e 380.1230f 380.1230g 380.1230h 380.1231 380.1233 380.1233a 380.1233b 380.1234 380.1235 380.1236 380.1236a Next
History: 1976, Act 451, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977 ;-- Am. 2002, Act 735, Eff. Mar. 31, 2003
Popular Name: Act 451
Last modified: March 21, 2014