Definitions; Creation of Intrastate Universal Service Fund; Provision of Supported Telecommunication Services - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 484.2316a
Legal Research Home > Michigan Laws > Telephone, Telegraph, And Radio > Definitions; Creation of Intrastate Universal Service Fund; Provision of Supported Telecommunication Services - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 484.2316a
(1) As used in this section:
(a) "Affordable rates" means, at a minimum, rates in effect on January 1, 2006 or as determined by the commission.
(b) "Intrastate universal service fund" means a fund created by the commission to provide a subsidy to customers for the provision of supported telecommunication services provided by any telecommunication carrier.
(c) "Supported telecommunication services" means primary residential access lines and a minimum level of local usage on those lines, as determined by the commission.
(d) "Universal service" shall mean the provision of supported telecommunication services by any carrier.
(2) The commission shall determine for each provider whether and to what extent the affordable rate level to provide supported telecommunication services is below each provider's forward looking economic cost of the supported telecommunication services.
(3) If an intrastate universal fund is created under this section, to the extent providers provide supported telecommunication services at an affordable rate that is below the forward looking economic cost of the supported telecommunication services, the fund shall provide a subsidy for customers in an amount which is equal to the difference between the affordable rate as determined by the commission and the forward looking economic cost of the supported services, less any federal universal service support received for those supported services.
(4) Eligibility for customers to receive intrastate universal service support under subsection (3) shall be consistent with the eligibility guidelines of section 254(e) of the telecommunications act of 1996 and the rules and regulations of the federal communications commission. The state fund shall be administered by an independent third-party administrator selected by the commission.
(5) To the extent an intrastate universal service fund is established, the commission shall require that the costs of the fund be recovered from all telecommunication providers on a competitively neutral basis. Providers contributing to the intrastate universal service fund may recover from end-users the costs of the financial support through surcharges assessed on end-users' bills.
(6) Upon request or on its own motion, the commission, after notice and hearing, shall determine if, based upon changes in technology or other factors, the findings made under this section should be reviewed.
(7) This section does not apply if an interstate universal service fund exists on the federal level unless otherwise approved by the commission.
Section: Previous 484.2310a 484.2312c 484.2313 484.2314a 484.2314b 484.2315 484.2316 484.2316a 484.2317 484.2318 484.2320 484.2351 484.2352 484.2353 484.2353a Next
Last modified: March 17, 2013