Modified System of Jury Selection; Development of Plan; Goals; Review, Approval, Adoption, and Implementation of Plan; Exceptions - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 600.1301b
Legal Research Home > Michigan Laws > Revised Judicature Act Of 1961 > Modified System of Jury Selection; Development of Plan; Goals; Review, Approval, Adoption, and Implementation of Plan; Exceptions - Mich. Comp. Laws Section 600.1301b
(1) Within 2 years after the effective date of this section each circuit of the circuit court shall develop a plan for the implementation of a modified system of jury selection in their respective courts.
(2) Each plan shall specify methods for utilizing eligible jurors to further the following goals:
(a) Lessening the inconvenience to citizens of serving as a juror.
(b) Broadening citizen participation in the jury system.
(c) Distributing the responsibility for participation in the jury system among the people in as fair a manner as possible.
(d) Increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of circuit court activity.
(e) Reducing the length of the term of service of a juror.
(f) Reducing the number of trials on which an individual juror serves during the juror's term.
(3) Each circuit of the circuit court shall submit their plan to the supreme court for review to determine that the plan serves to further the goals listed in subsection (2).
(4) Upon approval of the plan by the supreme court, and within 3 years after the effective date of this section, each circuit of the circuit court shall adopt and implement their plan.
(5) A district of the district court, county or probate court district of the probate court, or a common pleas court may develop and implement a plan for a modified system consistent with this section. If a court develops a plan, it may submit the plan to the supreme court for approval. If a court adopts a plan, the provisions of this section and those rules which the supreme court shall develop pursuant to this section, shall apply to that court.
(6) This section shall not apply to circuits of the circuit court which have a population of less than 250,000 based on 1970 census.
Section: Previous 600.1209 600.1210 600.1211 600.1212 600.1300 600.1301 600.1301a 600.1301b 600.1302 600.1303 600.1303a 600.1304 600.1304a 600.1305 600.1307a Next
Last modified: March 17, 2013