New Jersey Statutes - Title 15A Corporations, Nonprofit - 15A:1-7 Execution, filing and recording of documents
a. If a document relating to a domestic or foreign corporation is required or permitted to be filed in the office of the Secretary of State under this act:
(1) The document shall be in the English language, except that the corporate name need not be in the English language if written in English letters or Arabic or Roman numerals, and except that this requirement shall not apply to a certificate of good standing under paragraph (2) of subsection b. of section 15A:2-5, section 15A:2-6 or subsection b. of section 15A:13-4;
(2) The filing shall be accomplished by delivering the document to the office of the Secretary of State, together with the fees and any accompanying documents required by law.
The Secretary of State shall endorse upon it the word "Filed" with the Secretary's official title and the date of filing thereof, and shall file it in the office of the Secretary of State. If so requested at the time of the delivery of the document, the Secretary of State shall include the time of filing in the endorsement thereon;
(3) The transaction in connection with which the document has been filed shall be effective at the time of filing, unless a subsequent effective time is set forth in the document pursuant to any other provision of this act, in which case the transaction shall be effective at the time specified, which shall not be later than 30 days after the date of filing.
b. If a document relating to a domestic corporation or a foreign corporation is required or permitted to be filed under this act and is also required by this act to be executed on behalf of the corporation, the document shall be signed by the chairman of the board, or the president or a vice-president. The name of any person so signing the document, and the capacity in which signed, shall be stated beneath or opposite the signature. The document may contain:
(1) The corporate seal;
(2) An attestation by the secretary or an assistant secretary of the corporation; or
(3) An acknowledgment or proof.
If the corporation is in the hands of a court-appointed officer, the document shall be signed by that officer or the majority of them, if there are more than one.
c. If a document relating to a domestic or foreign corporation was required or permitted to be filed in the office of the Secretary of State under the law in force prior to the effective date of this act and was or is duly executed before or after the effective date of this act, in accordance with that law, to reflect any vote, consent, certification, or action by trustees, officers, or members of a corporation or by any of these persons on behalf of the corporation, duly taken, given or made before the effective date of this act, the document and any annual report by a corporation, so executed, may be filed in the office of the Secretary of State on the effective date of this act, and within 6 months thereafter.
d. The Secretary of State shall record all documents, except annual reports, which relate to or in any way affect corporations, and which are required or permitted by law to be filed in the office of the Secretary of State. The recording may be effected by typewritten copy, or by photographic, microphotographic or microfilming process, or in other manner as may be provided by law. The recorded documents shall be kept in a place different from the place where the originals are filed.
e. If any instrument filed with the Secretary of State under any provision of this act is an inaccurate record of the corporate action therein referred to, or was defectively or erroneously executed, the instrument may be corrected by filing with the Secretary of State a certificate of correction executed on behalf of the corporation. The certificate of correction shall specify the inaccuracy or defect to be corrected and shall set forth the correction. The instrument as corrected shall be deemed to have been effective in its corrected form as of its original filing date, but as to persons who relied upon the inaccurate portion of the certificate and who are adversely affected by the correction, the correction shall be effective as of the effective date of filing the certificate of correction.
L.1983, c. 127, s. 15A:1-7, eff. Oct. 1, 1983.
Sections: Previous 1-1 1-2 1-3 1-4 1-5 1-6 1-7 1-8 1-9 1-10 2-1 2-2 2-3 2-4 2-5 Next
Last modified: February 13, 2012