New Jersey Statutes - Title 30 Institutions and Agencies - 30:1B-23 Advisory council on corrections
a. There is hereby created within the Department of Corrections an Advisory Council on Corrections to consult with and advise the commissioner. The Advisory Council shall consist of seven citizen members who shall be residents of this State to be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. The Governor or his designee; the Commissioner of Human Services, the Commissioner of Labor and Industry, the Commissioner of Education, the Attorney General, the Director of the Administrative Office of the Courts and the Commissioner of Corrections, or their designees, shall serve as ex-officio members during their terms of office.
The members appointed by the Governor pursuant to this act shall be appointed for terms of 4 years; provided, however, of the members first appointed, two shall be appointed for a term of 4 years; two for a term of 3 years; two for a term of 2 years; and one for a term of 1 year. All appointed members shall continue to serve after the expiration of their terms until their successors are appointed and shall qualify. In the case of a vacancy, a new member shall be appointed for the remainder of the unexpired term. Members of the advisory council shall receive no compensation for services but shall be reimbursed for actual necessary and reasonable expenditures incurred in the performance of their duties. The members shall annually elect a chairperson from among their membership.
The department shall provide the advisory council with reasonable administrative and clerical support services, subject to the availability of funds.
b. The advisory council shall:
(1) Conduct research on institutional needs;
(2) Review and make recommendations to the commissioner with respect to budget requests from the institutions;
(3) Encourage cooperation between public and private institutions;
(4) Periodically review existing programs of care, training, rehabilitation, research, and public service in the public institutions of this and other states and new developments in the various fields of the department's responsibility and advise the commissioner on desirable change;
(5) Consult with and make recommendations to the commissioner as it deems necessary with regard to services, lands, buildings and equipment to be furnished by the department and its institutions;
(6) Visit the institutions under the supervision or control of the department to examine into their manner of operation and to advise the commissioner on their observations;
(7) Review and make recommendations to the commissioner with respect to budget requests to be submitted by the commissioner; and
(8) Make an annual report to the commissioner and the Governor and such other reports as it may deem proper from time to time or as may be requested by the commissioner.
(9) Make recommendations for the consideration of the commissioner with regard to the appointment of members of the boards of trustees of the various correctional institutions.
L.1976, c. 98, s. 24, eff. Nov. 1, 1976.
Sections: Previous 1b-16 1b-17 1b-18 1b-19 1b-20 1b-21 1b-22 1b-23 1b-24 1b-25 2-1 2-2 3-4 3-5 3-6 Next
Last modified: February 14, 2012