New Jersey Revised Statutes § 24:6i-2 - Findings, Declarations Relative To The Medical Use Of Marijuana.

24:6I-2 Findings, declarations relative to the medical use of marijuana.

2.The Legislature finds and declares that:

a.Modern medical research has discovered a beneficial use for marijuana in treating or alleviating the pain or other symptoms associated with certain debilitating medical conditions, as found by the National Academy of Sciences' Institute of Medicine in March 1999;

b.According to the U.S. Sentencing Commission and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, 99 out of every 100 marijuana arrests in the country are made under state law, rather than under federal law. Consequently, changing state law will have the practical effect of protecting from arrest the vast majority of seriously ill people who have a medical need to use marijuana;

c.Although federal law currently prohibits the use of marijuana, the laws of Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington permit the use of marijuana for medical purposes, and in Arizona doctors are permitted to prescribe marijuana. New Jersey joins this effort for the health and welfare of its citizens;

d.States are not required to enforce federal law or prosecute people for engaging in activities prohibited by federal law; therefore, compliance with this act does not put the State of New Jersey in violation of federal law; and

e.Compassion dictates that a distinction be made between medical and non-medical uses of marijuana. Hence, the purpose of this act is to protect from arrest, prosecution, property forfeiture, and criminal and other penalties, those patients who use marijuana to alleviate suffering from debilitating medical conditions, as well as their physicians, primary caregivers, and those who are authorized to produce marijuana for medical purposes.

L.2009, c.307, s.2.

Section: Previous  24-6g-4  24-6g-5  24-6g-6  24-6h-1  24-6h-2  24-6h-3  24-6i-1  24-6i-2  24-6i-3  24-6i-4  24-6i-5  24-6i-6  24-6i-7  24-6i-8  24-6i-9  Next

Last modified: October 11, 2016