Oregon Statutes - Chapter 206 - Sheriffs
Legal Research Home >
- 206.010 General duties of sheriff.
The sheriff is the chief executive officer and conservator of the peace of the county. In the execution of the office of sheriff, it is...
- 206.015 Qualifications of sheriff; certification as police officer; determination of eligibility to be candidate for election to office of sheriff.
(1) A person is not eligible to be a candidate for election or appointment to the office of sheriff unless: (a) The person is 21...
- 206.020 Keeping records of and disposition of fees.
(1) Every sheriff shall keep in the sheriff’s office a fee book or a system of receipts which shall be a public record, and in...
- 206.030 Duty to execute process and make return; taking concealed personal property; use of force.
An officer to whom any process, order or paper is delivered shall execute or serve it according to its command or direction, or as required...
- 206.040 Execution of process and service of papers.
When any process, order or paper is delivered to an officer, to be executed or served, the officer shall deliver to the person delivering it,...
- 206.050 Commanding assistance in process serving.
(1) When an officer finds, or has reason to apprehend, that resistance will be made to the execution or service of any process, order or...
- 206.060 When sheriff justified in executing process.
A sheriff is justified in the execution of process regular on its face, and appearing to have been issued by competent authority, whatever may be...
- 206.070 Excusing liability of sheriff in execution of process.
No direction or authority by a party or the attorney of the party to a sheriff or the officer of the sheriff, in respect to...
- 206.080 Certificate of election or appointment to new sheriff; service on former sheriff.
When a new sheriff is elected or appointed, and has qualified, the county clerk shall give the new sheriff a certificate of that fact, under...
- 206.090 Delivery of jail, process and prisoners to new sheriff.
Within one day after the service of the certificate referred to in ORS 206.080 upon the former sheriff, the former sheriff shall deliver to the...
- 206.100 Written assignment of items delivered.
The former sheriff shall also at the time referred to in ORS 206.090 deliver to the new sheriff a written assignment of the property, process,...
- 206.110 Return of process by former sheriff; completion of execution of process by successor; duty of successor as to defective or lost deeds.
(1) The former sheriff shall return all process, whether before or after judgment, which the former sheriff has fully executed, and the new sheriff and...
- 206.120 Disposition of money in custody when office vacant.
When the official term of office of any sheriff ends by expiration of the term, death, resignation, removal from office or otherwise, the money in...
- 206.130 [Renumbered 206.310]
- 206.140 [Renumbered 206.320]
- 206.150 [Renumbered 206.330]
- 206.160 [Renumbered 206.340]
- 206.170 [Repealed by 1963 c.331 §13]
- 206.180 Location of sheriff’s office.
The sheriff of each county shall keep an office in such room or building, at the place appointed by law for holding courts therein, as...
- 206.190 [Renumbered 206.350]
- 206.210 Authority of sheriff over organization of office.
Notwithstanding the provisions of ORS 241.016 to 241.990 or any other county civil service law or regulation, the sheriff may organize the work of the...
- 206.220 [1963 c.331 §3; repealed by 1981 c.48 §8]
- 206.230 [1963 c.331 §§4,6; repealed by 1981 c.48 §8]
- 206.240 [1963 c.331 §5; repealed by 1981 c.48 §8]
- 206.250 [1963 c.331 §7; repealed by 1981 c.48 §8]
- 206.300 [1971 c.453 §1; repealed by 1975 c.780 §16]
- 206.310 Service of papers on sheriff.
Personal service of a paper upon the sheriff may be made by delivering it to a person belonging to and in the office during office...
- 206.315 Expenses of sheriff in conveying convicts and persons with mental illness to state institutions.
(1) A sheriff is entitled to receive from the county the actual and necessary expenses of the sheriff incurred in transporting and conveying convicts and...
- 206.320 [Formerly 206.140; repealed by 2007 c.218 §6]
- 206.325 Expenses of sheriff in caring for property in custody.
A sheriff is entitled to claim from the plaintiff or moving party in any account, action or proceeding such reasonable sums of money as the...
- 206.330 Sheriff entitled to rewards.
The sheriff is entitled to demand and receive to the sheriff’s own use any reward offered in pursuance of law for the apprehension of any...
- 206.340 [Formerly 206.160; repealed by 1981 c.808 §6]
- 206.345 Contracts with cities; authority under contract.
(1) A sheriff shall have authority to enter into contracts, jointly with the governing body of the county, on behalf of the county, as provided...
- 206.350 [Formerly 206.190; repealed by 1979 c.492 §1]
- 206.355 Unauthorized use of uniform prohibited.
No person other than a county sheriff, person designated by a county sheriff, or regularly salaried sheriff’s deputy shall wear, use, copy or imitate in...
- 206.360 [1967 c.258 §§1,2,3,4; repealed by 1979 c.492 §1]
- 206.990 [Repealed by 1979 c.492 §1]
- 206.991 Penalties.
Violation of ORS 206.355 is a Class A misdemeanor. [1979 c.492 §3] _______________
Last modified: August 7, 2008