Texas Government Code - Section 411.141. Definitions
Legal Research Home >
Texas Laws > Government Code > Texas Government Code - Section 411.141. Definitions
Section: 411.1387 411.1388 411.139 411.140 411.1401 411.1402 411.1405 411.141 411.142 411.143 411.144 411.145 411.146 411.147 411.1471
§ 411.141. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(1) "CODIS" means the FBI's Combined DNA Index System.
The term includes the national DNA index system sponsored by the
(2) "Conviction" includes conviction by a jury or a
court, a guilty plea, a plea of nolo contendere, or a finding of not
guilty by reason of insanity.
(3) "Criminal justice agency" has the meaning assigned
by Article 60.01, Code of Criminal Procedure.
(4) "DNA" means deoxyribonucleic acid.
(5) "DNA database" means one or more databases that
contain forensic DNA records maintained by the director.
(6) "DNA laboratory" means a laboratory that performs
forensic DNA analysis on samples or specimens derived from a human
body, physical evidence, or a crime scene. The term includes a
department crime laboratory facility that conducts forensic DNA
(7) "DNA record" means the results of a forensic DNA
analysis performed by a DNA laboratory. The term includes a DNA
profile and related records, which may include a code or other
identifying number referenced to a separate database to locate:
(A) the originating entity; and
(B) if known, the name and other personally
identifying information concerning the individual who is the
subject of the analysis.
(8) "DNA sample" means a blood sample or other
biological sample or specimen provided by an individual under this
subchapter or submitted to the director under this subchapter for
DNA analysis or storage.
(9) "FBI" means the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(10) "Forensic analysis" has the meaning assigned by
Article 38.35, Code of Criminal Procedure.
(11) "Institution of higher education" has the meaning
assigned by Section 61.003, Education Code.
(12) "Penal institution" has the meaning assigned by
Section 1.07, Penal Code.
Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 595, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 1224, § 4, eff. Sept. 1,
Last modified: August 11, 2007