Texas Utilities Code - Section 55.176. Charge For 800-Type Calls
Legal Research Home >
Texas Laws > Utilities Code > Texas Utilities Code - Section 55.176. Charge For 800-Type Calls
Section: 55.138 55.171 55.172 55.173 55.1735 55.174 55.175 55.176 55.177 55.178 55.179 55.180 55.201 55.202 55.203
§ 55.176. CHARGE FOR 800-TYPE CALLS. (a) A provider may
charge at a pay telephone a fee of not more than 25 cents for
initiating an 800-type call.
(b) A provider may impose the fee only if:
(1) the pay telephone is registered with the
(2) the provider certifies that the pay telephone
complies with commission rules regarding the provision of pay
(c) Subsection (b) does not apply to a local exchange
company pay telephone.
(d) A provider may not impose the fee if imposition is
inconsistent with federal law.
(e) A provider may not impose the fee for a:
(1) local call;
(2) 911 call;
(3) local directory assistance call; or
(4) call that is covered by the Telephone Operator
Consumer Services Improvement Act of 1990 (47 U.S.C. Section 226).
(f) A provider who imposes the fee must post on each pay
telephone notice that the fee will be charged. The provider must
post the notice:
(1) in plain sight of the user; and
(2) in a manner consistent with existing commission
requirements for posting information.
(g) The commission may not impose on a local exchange
company the duty or obligation to:
(1) record the use of pay telephone service;
(2) bill or collect for the use of the pay telephone;
(3) remit to the provider the fee authorized by this
Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 166, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
Last modified: August 11, 2007