Revised Code of Washington - RCW Title 35 Cities And Towns - Section 35.30.010 Additional powers
Legal Research Home >
§ 35.30.010. Additional powers
The council, or other legislative body, of all cities within the state of Washington which were created by special charter prior to the adoption of the state Constitution, and which have not since reincorporated under any general statute, shall have, in addition to the powers specially granted by the charter of such cities, the following powers:
(1) To construct, establish and maintain drains and sewers.
(2) To impose and collect an annual license not exceeding two dollars on every dog owned or harbored within the limits of the city.
(3) To levy and collect annually a property tax on all property within such city.
(4) To license all shows, exhibitions and lawful games carried on therein; and to fix the rates of license tax upon the same, and to provide for the collection of the same by suit or otherwise.
(5) To permit, under such restrictions as they may deem proper, the construction and maintenance of telephone, telegraph and electric light lines therein.
(6) To impose fines, penalties and forfeitures for any and all violations of ordinances; and for any breach or violation of any ordinance, to fix the penalty by fine or imprisonment or both, but no such fine shall exceed five thousand dollars nor the term of imprisonment exceed one year.
(7) To cause all persons imprisoned for violation of any ordinance to labor on the streets or other public property or works within the city.
(8) To make all such ordinances, bylaws and regulations, not inconsistent with the Constitution and laws of the state of Washington, as may be deemed expedient to maintain the peace, good government and welfare of the city, and to do and perform any and all other acts and things necessary and proper to carry out the purposes of the municipal corporation.
[1984 c 258 § 806; 1965 c 7 § 35.30.010. Prior: 1899 c 69 § 1; RRS § 8944.]
Court Improvement Act of 1984 -- Effective dates -- Severability -- Short title -- 1984 c 258: See notes following RCW 3.30.010.
Sections: 35.30.010 35.30.011 35.30.014 35.30.018 35.30.020 35.30.030 35.30.040 35.30.050 35.30.060 35.30.070 35.30.080 35.30.100
Last modified: April 7, 2009