The following terms have the following meanings:
(1) DEPARTMENT. The State Department of Education.
(2) HARASSMENT. A continuous pattern of intentional behavior that takes place on school property, on a school bus, or at a school-sponsored function including, but not limited to, written, electronic, verbal, or physical acts that are reasonably perceived as being motivated by any characteristic of a student, or by the association of a student with an individual who has a particular characteristic, if the characteristic falls into one of the categories of personal characteristics contained in the model policy adopted by the department or by a local board. To constitute harassment, a pattern of behavior may do any of the following:
a. Place a student in reasonable fear of harm to his or her person or damage to his or her property.
b. Have the effect of substantially interfering with the educational performance, opportunities, or benefits of a student.
c. Have the effect of substantially disrupting or interfering with the orderly operation of the school.
d. Have the effect of creating a hostile environment in the school, on school property, on a school bus, or at a school-sponsored function.
e. Have the effect of being sufficiently severe, persistent, or pervasive enough to create an intimidating, threatening, or abusive educational environment for a student.
(3) HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT. The perception by an affected student or victim that the conduct of another student constitutes a threat of violence or harassment and that the conduct is objectively severe or pervasive enough that a reasonable person, under the circumstances, would agree that the conduct constitutes harassment, threat of assault, or assault.
(4) LOCAL BOARD. A city or county board of education.
(5) SCHOOL. Each public school, grades prekindergarten through 12, the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind, the Alabama High School of Mathematics and Science, and the Alabama School of Fine Arts.
(6) SCHOOL SYSTEM. The schools under the jurisdiction of a local board.
(Act 2009-571, p. 1674, §3.)Section: Previous 16-28b-1 16-28b-2 16-28b-3 16-28b-4 16-28b-5 16-28b-6 16-28b-7 16-28b-8 16-28b-9 Next
Last modified: November 15, 2016