Board of Trustees - Vacancies; appointments.
(a) Any vacancy in the office of trustee occurring during a recess of the Legislature shall be filled by appointment of the Governor. The appointee shall hold office until the next session of the Legislature, at which time the appointment shall be confirmed by the Senate. If not confirmed by the Senate, another appointment shall be made by the Governor in like manner until an appointment is confirmed by the Senate. A trustee appointed by the Governor to fill a vacancy, by and with the consent of the Senate, shall hold office during the unexpired term.
(b) After the initial appointments to the board, future members appointed to the board shall be appointed by the Governor from a list of three persons nominated by a nominating committee. The nominating committee shall consist of all of the following members:
(1) One member of the board as elected by the membership of the board.
(2) The presiding officer of the Athens State University Faculty Senate.
(3) The presiding officer of the Athens State University Staff Senate.
(4) One member of the Limestone County Legislative Delegation, as selected by the delegation.
(5) The President of the Athens State University Alumni Association, or his or her designee.
(6) The President of the Athens State University Foundation, or his or her designee.
(7) The president of the university shall serve as a nonvoting, ex officio member and chair of the committee.
(c) Within 45 days of any vacancy on the board, the nominating committee shall select and forward to the Governor three names for consideration for appointment. If no recommendation is made by the nominating committee within 45 days after a vacancy, the Governor, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, may appoint a qualified candidate to fill the vacancy.
(Act 2012-497, p. 1460, §9.)Section: Previous 16-47a-1 16-47a-2 16-47a-3 16-47a-4 16-47a-5 16-47a-6 16-47a-7 16-47a-8 16-47a-9 16-47a-10 16-47a-11 16-47a-12 16-47a-13 Next
Last modified: November 15, 2016