Code of Alabama - Title 45: Local Laws - Section 45-37-72.27 - Statement of candidacy; petition

Section 45-37-72.27 - Statement of candidacy; petition.

(a) No primary election shall be held to nominate a candidate to fill a vacancy under this subpart. At any election held under this subpart no person’s name shall appear on the ballot as a candidate for the office to be filled at the election unless such person has filed in the office of the judge of probate of the county within the time and in the forms prescribed in subsection (b) his or her statement of candidacy and the petition signed by a least 100 qualified electors of the commission district requesting that such person become a candidate for the office.

(b) Any person desiring to become a candidate at any election may become such candidate by filing in the office of the judge of probate of the county such person’s statement in writing of such candidacy, accompanied by such person’s affidavit taken and certified by such judge of probate, or by a notary public, that such person is duly qualified to hold the office for which the person desires to be a candidate. Such statement shall be filed at least 21 days before the date set for such election; and shall be in substantially the following form:

"State of Alabama, Jefferson County.

"I, the undersigned, being first duly sworn, depose and say that I am a citizen of Jefferson County in Alabama, residing at _________, and in the county, that I desire to become a candidate for the office ________ at the election for the office to be held on the ______ day of ________, and that I am duly qualified to hold the office if elected thereto; I hereby request that my name be printed on the official ballot at the election.

"Signed

"Subscribed and sworn to before me, the undersigned (probate judge or notary public, as the case may be) on this the ______ day of _______, 20__.

"_____________________________________

"(Judge of probate or notary public, as the case may be)"

(c) The statement shall be accompanied by a petition signed by at least 100 persons who shall be qualified to vote at the election, requesting that such person become a candidate for the office at the election. The signers to the petition shall set forth their names in full and their residence addresses, and the petition shall be in substantially the following form:

"We, the undersigned, duly qualified electors of Jefferson County, and residing at the places set opposite our respective names, do hereby request that the name of ______ be placed upon the official ballot as a candidate for the office of ______ at the election for the office to be held in the county on the ______ day of ______. We further state that we know that ______ possesses the qualifications necessary for the office, and is in our judgment a fit and proper person to hold the office. Witness our hands on this the day of ______, 20__."

(d) No name shall appear upon the ballot as a candidate for election except the names of such persons as have become candidates according to the provisions as set forth above. If voting machines are used in the county, the names of candidates shall be suitably placed on voting machines.

(Act 2009-777, p. 2427, §8.)

Last modified: May 3, 2021