Arizona Revised Statutes § 27-129 Locating Abandoned Mines; Public Education; Donor Immunity

27-129. Locating abandoned mines; public education; donor immunity

A. Subject to legislative appropriation, the state mine inspector shall establish a program to locate, inventory, classify and eliminate public safety hazards at abandoned mines as defined in section 27-301. The state mine inspector shall spend state appropriated monies to locate, inventory, classify and eliminate public safety hazards at abandoned mines on state land first and thereafter any public safety hazards at abandoned mines on land not owned by this state.

B. Using reasonable efforts, the state mine inspector shall attempt to notify in writing the owner, or other responsible party, of an abandoned mine at which a public safety hazard exists of the requirements of section 27-318 with respect to abandoned mines.

C. The state mine inspector may establish public education programs to recognize and avoid public safety hazards at abandoned mine sites.

D. To accomplish the purposes of this section, the state mine inspector may accept monies for deposit in the state general fund received from any source, including restricted or unrestricted federal funds, gifts and contributions from other governmental agencies, individuals, corporations or other organizations. The state shall separately account for monies that are received pursuant to this subsection and that are deposited in the state general fund.

E. The state mine inspector may enter into intergovernmental agreements with Indian tribes in the state to extend the abandoned mine program onto tribal lands.

F. The state mine inspector may accept in-kind donations of material, equipment or services to eliminate public safety hazards at an abandoned mine from any person, public entity or other legal entity.

G. A person, public entity or other legal entity who makes donations pursuant to this section or section 27-131 shall not be liable for damages in any civil action for any injury or death related to the elimination of public safety hazards at an abandoned mine unless the injury or death is a direct result of the intentional misconduct or gross negligence of the donor.

Section: Previous  27-122  27-123  27-124  27-125  27-126  27-127  27-128  27-129  27-131  27-201  27-202  27-203  27-204  27-205  27-206  Next

Last modified: October 13, 2016