5-222. Application of this chapter
A. This chapter does not apply to any amateur boxing or mixed martial arts contest conducted by the following:
1. Any school, community college, college or university or an association or organization composed exclusively of schools, community colleges, colleges or universities when each contestant is a student enrolled in a school, community college, college or university. As used in this section, " school, community college, college or university" means every school, community college, college or university and every other school, community college, college or university determined by the state board of education, community college districts as defined in section 15-1401 or the Arizona board of regents to be maintained primarily for the giving of general academic education.
2. A government unit or agency of the United States, this state or a subdivision of this state or a unit of the United States armed forces or the national guard if all contestants are members of that unit of the armed forces or the national guard.
3. An amateur athletic program that is authorized by and sanctioned under the rules, regulations and policies of a national governing body that is recognized by the United States olympic committee in which all contestants are amateur contestants.
4. Kickboxing events that are sanctioned by and conducted under the direct supervision of the United States muay thai association or another muay thai sanctioning body that is approved by the commission if all contestants are amateur contestants.
5. Any bona fide private school whose primary purpose is instruction and training in the martial arts, if:
(a) The contests held in conjunction with the instruction and training are amateur.
(b) The contests are of a sparring nature with no official decisions awarded.
(c) At least one contestant in each contest has been a member in good standing of the sponsoring private school for at least sixty continuous days before the contest.
(d) An admission fee or a mandatory donation or other form of payment is not charged for attendance.
6. Any bona fide private school whose primary purpose is instruction in karate, if the contests held in conjunction with the instruction are amateur.
B. An amateur mixed martial arts competitor shall not be licensed as a professional mixed martial arts competitor until the person has completed five or more verified amateur contests that are regulated by the commission or by a sanctioning body that is approved by the commission. The five-contest requirement prescribed by this subsection may be waived by the commission or by the executive director.Section: Previous 5-113 5-113.01 5-114 5-115 5-116 5-131 5-221 5-222 5-223 5-224 5-225 5-227 5-228 5-229 5-230 Next
Last modified: October 13, 2016