17601. For the purposes of this article, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) Automatic renewal means a plan or arrangement in which a paid subscription or purchasing agreement is automatically renewed at the end of a definite term for a subsequent term.
(b) Automatic renewal offer terms means the following clear and conspicuous disclosures:
(1) That the subscription or purchasing agreement will continue until the consumer cancels.
(2) The description of the cancellation policy that applies to the offer.
(3) The recurring charges that will be charged to the consumer s credit or debit card or payment account with a third party as part of the automatic renewal plan or arrangement, and that the amount of the charge may change, if that is the case, and the amount to which the charge will change, if known.
(4) The length of the automatic renewal term or that the service is continuous, unless the length of the term is chosen by the consumer.
(5) The minimum purchase obligation, if any.
(c) Clear and conspicuous or clearly and conspicuously means in larger type than the surrounding text, or in contrasting type, font, or color to the surrounding text of the same size, or set off from the surrounding text of the same size by symbols or other marks, in a manner that clearly calls attention to the language. In the case of an audio disclosure, clear and conspicuous and clearly and conspicuously means in a volume and cadence sufficient to be readily audible and understandable.
(d) Consumer means any individual who seeks or acquires, by purchase or lease, any goods, services, money, or credit for personal, family, or household purposes.
(e) Continuous service means a plan or arrangement in which a subscription or purchasing agreement continues until the consumer cancels the service.
(Added by Stats. 2009, Ch. 350, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2010. Section operative December 1, 2010, pursuant to Section 17606.)Section: Previous 17600 17601 17602 17603 17604 17605 17606 Next
Last modified: September 9, 2016