California Code of Civil Procedure Section 116.530
Legal Research Home >
California Laws > Code of Civil Procedure > California Code of Civil Procedure Section 116.530
116.530. (a) Except as permitted by this section, no attorney may
take part in the conduct or defense of a small claims action.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply if the attorney is appearing to
maintain or defend an action in any of the following capacities:
(1) By or against himself or herself.
(2) By or against a partnership in which he or she is a general
partner and in which all the partners are attorneys.
(3) By or against a professional corporation of which he or she is
an officer or director and of which all other officers and directors
(c) Nothing in this section shall prevent an attorney from doing
any of the following:
(1) Providing advice to a party to a small claims action, either
before or after the commencement of the action.
(2) Testifying to facts of which he or she has personal knowledge
and about which he or she is competent to testify.
(3) Representing a party in an appeal to the superior court.
(4) Representing a party in connection with the enforcement of a
Speak with a Lawyer in California
Last modified: March 17, 2014