1166. (a) The complaint shall:
(1) Be verified and include the typed or printed name of the person verifying the complaint.
(2) Set forth the facts on which the plaintiff seeks to recover.
(3) Describe the premises with reasonable certainty.
(4) If the action is based on paragraph (2) of Section 1161, state the amount of rent in default.
(5) State specifically the method used to serve the defendant with the notice or notices of termination upon which the complaint is based. This requirement may be satisfied by using and completing all items relating to service of the notice or notices in an appropriate Judicial Council form complaint, or by attaching a proof of service of the notice or notices of termination served on the defendant.
(b) The complaint may set forth any circumstances of fraud, force, or violence that may have accompanied the alleged forcible entry or forcible or unlawful detainer, and claim damages therefor.
(c) In an action regarding residential real property based on Section 1161a, the plaintiff shall state in the caption of the complaint Action based on Code of Civil Procedure Section 1161a.
(d) (1) In an action regarding residential property, the plaintiff shall attach to the complaint the following:
(A) A copy of the notice or notices of termination served on the defendant upon which the complaint is based.
(B) A copy of any written lease or rental agreement regarding the premises. Any addenda or attachments to the lease or written agreement that form the basis of the complaint shall also be attached. The documents required by this subparagraph are not required to be attached if the complaint alleges any of the following:
(i) The lease or rental agreement is oral.
(ii) A written lease or rental agreement regarding the premises is not in the possession of the landlord or any agent or employee of the landlord.
(iii) An action based solely on subdivision (2) of Section 1161.
(2) If the plaintiff fails to attach the documents required by this subdivision, the court shall grant leave to amend the complaint for a five-day period in order to include the required attachments.
(e) Upon filing the complaint, a summons shall be issued thereon.
(Amended by Stats. 2010, Ch. 641, Sec. 3. Effective January 1, 2011.)Section: Previous 1161a 1161b 1161c 1162 1162a 1164 1165 1166 1166a 1167 1167.3 1167.4 1167.5 1169 1170 Next
Last modified: September 9, 2016