Article 2. Procedure for Claiming Exemptions After Levy - California Code of Civil Procedure Section 703.520
Legal Research Home >
California Laws > Code of Civil Procedure > Article 2. Procedure for Claiming Exemptions After Levy - California Code of Civil Procedure Section 703.520
703.520. (a) The claimant may make a claim of exemption by filing
with the levying officer a claim of exemption together with a copy
thereof. The claim shall be made within 10 days after the date the
notice of levy on the property claimed to be exempt was served on the
(b) The claim of exemption shall be executed under oath and shall
include all of the following:
(1) The name of the claimant and the mailing address where service
of a notice of opposition to the claim may be made upon the
(2) The name and last known address of the judgment debtor if the
claimant is not the judgment debtor.
(3) A description of the property claimed to be exempt. If an
exemption is claimed pursuant to Section 704.010 or 704.060, the
claimant shall describe all other property of the same type
(including exempt proceeds of property of the same type) owned by the
judgment debtor alone or in combination with others on the date of
levy and identify the property, whether or not levied upon, to which
the exemption is to be applied. If an exemption is claimed pursuant
to subdivision (b) of Section 704.100, the claimant shall state the
nature and amount of all other property of the same type owned by the
judgment debtor or the spouse of the judgment debtor alone or in
combination with others on the date of levy.
(4) A financial statement if required by Section 703.530.
(5) A citation of the provision of this chapter or other statute
upon which the claim is based.
(6) A statement of the facts necessary to support the claim.
Last modified: February 16, 2015