California Civil Code Section 1962
1962. (a) Any owner of a dwelling structure specified in Section 1961 or a party signing a rental agreement or lease on behalf of the owner shall do all of the following:
(1) Disclose therein the name, telephone number, and usual street address at which personal service may be effected of each person who is:
(A) Authorized to manage the premises.
(B) An owner of the premises or a person who is authorized to act for and on behalf of the owner for the purpose of service of process and for the purpose of receiving and receipting for all notices and demands.
(2) Disclose therein the name, telephone number, and address of the person or entity to whom rent payments shall be made.
(A) If rent payments may be made personally, the usual days and hours that the person will be available to receive the payments shall also be disclosed.
(B) At the owner s option, the rental agreement or lease shall instead disclose the number of either:
(i) The account in a financial institution into which rent payments may be made, and the name and street address of the institution; provided that the institution is located within five miles of the rental property.
(ii) The information necessary to establish an electronic funds transfer procedure for paying the rent.
(3) Disclose therein the form or forms in which rent payments are to be made.
(4) Provide a copy of the rental agreement or lease to the tenant within 15 days of its execution by the tenant. Once each calendar year thereafter, upon request by the tenant, the owner or owner s agent shall provide an additional copy to the tenant within 15 days. If the owner or owner s agent does not possess the rental agreement or lease or a copy of it, the owner or owner s agent shall instead furnish the tenant with a written statement stating that fact and containing the information required by paragraphs (1), (2), and (3).
(b) In the case of an oral rental agreement, the owner, or a person acting on behalf of the owner for the receipt of rent or otherwise, shall furnish the tenant, within 15 days of the agreement, with a written statement containing the information required by paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of subdivision (a). Once each calendar year thereafter, upon request by the tenant, the owner or owner s agent shall provide an additional copy of the statement to the tenant within 15 days.
(c) The information required by this section shall be kept current and this section shall extend to and be enforceable against any successor owner or manager, who shall comply with this section within 15 days of succeeding the previous owner or manager. A successor owner or manager shall not serve a notice pursuant to paragraph (2) of Section 1161 of the Code of Civil Procedure or otherwise evict a tenant for nonpayment of rent that accrued during the period of noncompliance by a successor owner or manager with this subdivision. Nothing in this subdivision shall relieve the tenant of any liability for unpaid rent.
(d) A party who enters into a rental agreement on behalf of the owner who fails to comply with this section is deemed an agent of each person who is an owner:
(1) For the purpose of service of process and receiving and receipting for notices and demands.
(2) For the purpose of performing the obligations of the owner under law and under the rental agreement.
(3) For the purpose of receiving rental payments, which may be made in cash, by check, by money order, or in any form previously accepted by the owner or owner s agent, unless the form of payment has been specified in the oral or written agreement, or the tenant has been notified by the owner in writing that a particular form of payment is unacceptable.
(e) Nothing in this section limits or excludes the liability of any undisclosed owner.
(f) If the address provided by the owner does not allow for personal delivery, then it shall be conclusively presumed that upon the mailing of any rent or notice to the owner by the tenant to the name and address provided, the notice or rent is deemed receivable by the owner on the date posted, if the tenant can show proof of mailing to the name and address provided by the owner.
(Amended by Stats. 2012, Ch. 695, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2013.)Section: Previous 1961 1962 1962.5 1962.7 Next
Last modified: September 9, 2016