California Civil Code Section 3343.5
Legal Research Home >
California Laws > Civil Code > California Civil Code Section 3343.5
3343.5. (a) Any one or more of the following who suffers any damage
proximately resulting from one or more acts of unlawful motor
vehicle subleasing, as described in Chapter 12.7 (commencing with
Section 570) of Title 13 of Part 1 of the Penal Code, may bring an
action against the person who has engaged in those acts:
(1) A seller or other secured party under a conditional sale
contract or a security agreement.
(2) A lender under a direct loan agreement.
(3) A lessor under a lease contract.
(4) A buyer under a conditional sale contract.
(5) A purchaser under a direct loan agreement, an agreement which
provides for a security interest, or an agreement which is equivalent
to these types of agreements.
(6) A lessee under a lease contract.
(7) An actual or purported transferee or assignee of any right or
interest of a buyer, a purchaser, or a lessee.
(b) The court in an action under subdivision (a) may award actual
damages; equitable relief, including, but not limited to, an
injunction and restitution of money and property; punitive damages;
reasonable attorney's fees and costs; and any other relief which the
court deems proper.
(c) As used in this section, the following terms have the
(1) "Buyer" has the meaning set forth in subdivision (c) of
(2) "Conditional sale contract" has the meaning set forth in
subdivision (a) of Section 2981. Notwithstanding subdivision (k) of
Section 2981, "conditional sale contract" includes any contract for
the sale or bailment of a motor vehicle between a buyer and a seller
primarily for business or commercial purposes.
(3) "Direct loan agreement" means an agreement between a lender
and a purchaser whereby the lender has advanced funds pursuant to a
loan secured by the motor vehicle which the purchaser has purchased.
(4) "Lease contract" means a lease contract between a lessor and
lessee as this term and these parties are defined in Section 2985.7.
Notwithstanding subdivision (d) of Section 2985.7, "lease contract"
includes a lease for business or commercial purposes.
(5) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle required to be registered
under the Vehicle Code.
(6) "Person" means an individual, company, firm, association,
partnership, trust, corporation, limited liability company, or other
(7) "Purchaser" has the meaning set forth in paragraph (30) of
subdivision (b) of Section 1201 of the Commercial Code.
(8) "Security agreement" and "secured party" have the meanings set
forth, respectively, in paragraphs (73) and (72) of subdivision (a)
of Section 9102 of the Commercial Code. "Security interest" has the
meaning set forth in paragraph (35) of subdivision (b) of Section
1201 of the Commercial Code.
(9) "Seller" has the meaning set forth in subdivision (b) of
Section 2981, and includes the present holder of the conditional sale
(d) The rights and remedies provided in this section are in
addition to any other rights and remedies provided by law.
Last modified: February 22, 2013