California Commercial Code Section 9502
Legal Research Home >
California Laws > Commercial Code > California Commercial Code Section 9502
9502. (a) Subject to subdivision (b), a financing statement is
sufficient only if it satisfies all of the following conditions:
(1) It provides the name of the debtor.
(2) It provides the name of the secured party or a representative
of the secured party.
(3) It indicates the collateral covered by the financing
(b) Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b) of Section
9501, to be sufficient, a financing statement that covers
as-extracted collateral or timber to be cut, or which is filed as a
fixture filing and covers goods that are or are to become fixtures,
must satisfy subdivision (a) and also satisfy all of the following
(1) Indicate that it covers this type of collateral.
(2) Indicate that it is to be recorded in the real property
(3) Provide a description of the real property to which the
collateral is related sufficient to give constructive notice of a
mortgage under the law of this state if the description were
contained in a record of the mortgage of the real property.
(4) If the debtor does not have an interest of record in the real
property, provide the name of a record owner.
(c) A record of a mortgage is effective, from the date of
recording, as a financing statement filed as a fixture filing or as a
financing statement covering as-extracted collateral or timber to be
cut only if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The record indicates the goods or accounts that it covers.
(2) The goods are or are to become fixtures related to the real
property described in the record or the collateral is related to the
real property described in the record and is as-extracted collateral
or timber to be cut.
(3) The record satisfies the requirements for a financing
statement in this section other than an indication that it is to be
filed in the real property records.
(4) The record is duly recorded.
(d) A financing statement may be filed before a security agreement
is made or a security interest otherwise attaches.
Last modified: February 22, 2013