CHAPTER 1 - Civil Liability | Califonrnia Corporations Code - CORP | Section 25507.
25507. (a) No action shall be maintained to enforce any liability created under Section 25503 (or Section 25504 or Section 25504.1 insofar as they relate to that section) unless brought before the expiration of two years after the violation upon which it is based or the expiration of one year after the discovery by the plaintiff of the facts constituting such violation, whichever shall first expire.
(b) No buyer may commence an action under Section 25503 (or Section 25504 or Section 25504.1 insofar as they relate to that section) if, before suit is commenced, such buyer shall have received a written offer approved as to form by the commissioner (1) stating the respect in which liability under such section may have arisen, (2) offering to repurchase the security for a cash price payable upon delivery of the security or offering to pay the buyer an amount in cash equal in either case to the amount recoverable by the buyer in accordance with Section 25503, or, offering to rescind the transaction by putting the parties back in the same position as before the transaction, (3) providing that such offer may be accepted by the buyer at any time within a specified period of not less than 30 days after the date of receipt thereof unless rejected earlier during such period by the buyer, (4) setting forth the provisions of this subdivision (b), and (5) containing such other information as the commissioner may require by rule or order, and such buyer shall have failed to accept such offer in writing within the specified period after receipt thereof.
(c) The commissioner may by rule or order impose as a condition to approval of an offer under subdivision (b) of this section, if the commissioner finds such action is necessary and appropriate for the protection of investors, conditions requiring:
(1) That equivalent and concurrent offers be made to all investors as to whom liability may have arisen and still exists under Section 25503 (or Section 25504 or Section 25504.1 insofar as they relate to that section) in connection with the distribution or transaction;
(2) That the offer be made subject to a condition voiding such offer if the issuer, by reason of acceptances, is disabled from commencing or continuing business;
(3) That the offer be made within a specified period after approval thereof by the commissioner;
(4) If the consideration paid by the offeree was other than monetary or if the offer is of rescission, and if the offer is rejected by the offeree on the ground that it does not accord him the damages payable under Section 25503 or that the rescission offered does not place the parties back in the same position as before the transaction, that an offer so rejected shall not bar the commencement of an action by the offeree under Section 25503 (or Section 25504 or Section 25504.1 insofar as they relate to that section); or
(5) That the offeror file a report or reports with the commissioner containing such information as he may require concerning the making of the offer, its acceptance or rejection, and compliance with its terms and conditions or with conditions imposed under this subdivision.
(d) Each person who files a repurchase offer with the commissioner pursuant to subdivision (b) shall file with the commissioner, in such form as the commissioner by rule prescribes, an irrevocable consent appointing the commissioner or the commissioner s successor in office to be such person s attorney to receive service of any lawful process in any noncriminal suit, action or proceeding against such person or such person s successor, executor or administrator, which arises under this law or any rule or order hereunder after the consent has been filed, with the same force and validity as if served personally on the person filing the consent. A person who has filed such a consent in connection with a qualification under this law (or application for a permit under any prior law if the application under this law states that such consent is still effective) need not file another. Service may be made by leaving a copy of the process in the office of the commissioner but it is not effective unless (1) the plaintiff, who may be the commissioner in a suit, action or proceeding instituted by him, forthwith sends notice of the service and a copy of the process by registered or certified mail to the defendant or respondent at such person s last address on file with the commissioner, and (2) the plaintiff s affidavit of compliance with this section is filed in the case on or before the return day of the process, if any, or within such further time as the court allows.
(Amended by Stats. 1978, Ch. 663.)Section: Previous 25502 25502.5 25503 25504 25504.1 25504.2 25505 25506 25506.1 25507 25508 25508.5 25509 25510 Next
Last modified: July 19, 2016