CHAPTER 3 - Charter School Operation | Califonrnia Education Code - EDC | Section 47614.
47614. (a) The intent of the people in amending Section 47614 is that public school facilities should be shared fairly among all public school pupils, including those in charter schools.
(b) Each school district shall make available, to each charter school operating in the school district, facilities sufficient for the charter school to accommodate all of the charter school s in-district students in conditions reasonably equivalent to those in which the students would be accommodated if they were attending other public schools of the district. Facilities provided shall be contiguous, furnished, and equipped, and shall remain the property of the school district. The school district shall make reasonable efforts to provide the charter school with facilities near to where the charter school wishes to locate, and shall not move the charter school unnecessarily.
(1) The school district may charge the charter school a pro rata share (based on the ratio of space allocated by the school district to the charter school divided by the total space of the district) of those school district facilities costs which the school district pays for with unrestricted general fund revenues. The charter school shall not be otherwise charged for use of the facilities. No school district shall be required to use unrestricted general fund revenues to rent, buy, or lease facilities for charter school students.
(2) Each year each charter school desiring facilities from a school district in which it is operating shall provide the school district with a reasonable projection of the charter school s average daily classroom attendance by in-district students for the following year. The district shall allocate facilities to the charter school for that following year based upon this projection. If the charter school, during that following year, generates less average daily classroom attendance by in-district students than it projected, the charter school shall reimburse the district for the over-allocated space at rates to be set by the State Board of Education.
(3) Each school district s responsibilities under this section shall take effect three years from the effective date of the measure which added this subparagraph, or if the school district passes a school bond measure prior to that time on the first day of July next following such passage.
(4) Facilities requests based upon projections of fewer than 80 units of average daily classroom attendance for the year may be denied by the school district.
(5) The term operating, as used in this section, shall mean either currently providing public education to in-district students, or having identified at least 80 in-district students who are meaningfully interested in enrolling in the charter school for the following year.
(6) The State Department of Education shall propose, and the State Board of Education may adopt, regulations implementing this subdivision, including but not limited to defining the terms average daily classroom attendance, conditions reasonably equivalent, in-district students, facilities costs, as well as defining the procedures and establishing timelines for the request for, reimbursement for, and provision of, facilities.
(Amended November 7, 2000, by initiative Proposition 39, Sec. 6. Note: Prop. 39 is titled the Smaller Classes, Safer Schools and Financial Accountability Act.)Section: Previous 47610 47610.5 47611 47611.3 47611.5 47612 47612.1 47612.5 47612.6 47613 47613.1 47614 47614.5 47615 Next
Last modified: July 19, 2016