12236. (a) The Secretary of State shall establish a Local Government Records Program to be administered by the State Archives to establish guidelines for local government records retention and to provide archival support to local agencies in this state.
(b) The Secretary of State shall establish, publish, update, and maintain on a permanent basis guidelines for local government records retention. The Secretary of State may consult with appropriate professional organizations representing city, county, and special district records administrators regarding the establishment of these guidelines.
(c) The program shall be primarily responsible for the performance of the following functions:
(1) Publish the guidelines developed pursuant to subdivision (b) in paper form initially and on the Internet web site for the Secretary of State.
(2) Monitor and review changes in state laws and administrative regulations that pertain to local government records retention.
(3) Monitor practices and procedures in records administration that have bearing on local government records retention and management.
(4) Update published guidelines on a current and timely basis as changes occur.
(5) Make supporting information about state laws and administrative regulations that pertain to local government records retention available to local government agencies.
(6) Function as the liaison for the State Archives with appropriate professional organizations.
(7) Maintain communication with individual local government agencies.
(8) Consult and provide information and advice to local government agencies on archival and records management practices.
(9) Consult and provide information and advice to local government agencies on history and heritage.
(Amended by Stats. 2014, Ch. 28, Sec. 23. Effective June 20, 2014.)Section: Previous 12223 12223.5 12224 12225 12226 12227 12228 12229 12230 12231 12232 12233 12236 12237 Next
Last modified: September 9, 2016