California Government Code Section 12236
Legal Research Home >
California Laws > Government Code > California Government Code Section 12236
12236. (a) The Secretary of State shall establish the Local
Government Records Program to be administered by the State Archives
to establish guidelines for local government records retention and to
provide archival support to local agencies in this state.
(b) The Secretary of State shall establish, publish, update, and
maintain on a permanent basis guidelines for local government records
retention. The Secretary of State may consult with appropriate
professional organizations representing city, county, and special
district records administrators regarding the establishment of these
(c) The program shall be primarily responsible for the performance
of the following functions:
(1) Publish the guidelines developed pursuant to subdivision (b)
in paper form initially and on the Internet web site for the
Secretary of State.
(2) Monitor and review changes in state laws and administrative
regulations that pertain to local government records retention.
(3) Monitor practices and procedures in records administration
that have bearing on local government records retention and
(4) Update published guidelines on a current and timely basis as
(5) Make supporting information about state laws and
administrative regulations that pertain to local government records
retention available to local government agencies.
(6) Function as the liaison for the State Archives with
appropriate professional organizations.
(7) Maintain communication with individual local government
(8) Consult and provide information and advice to local government
agencies on archival practices.
(9) Consult and provide information and advice to local government
agencies on history and heritage.
Speak with a Lawyer in California
Last modified: March 17, 2014