California Government Code Section 71636
Legal Research Home >
California Laws > Government Code > California Government Code Section 71636
71636. (a) A trial court may adopt reasonable rules and
regulations, after consultation in good faith with representatives of
a recognized employee organization or organizations, for the
administration of employer-employee relations under this article.
These rules and regulations may include provisions for:
(1) Verifying that an organization does in fact represent
employees of the trial court.
(2) Verifying the official status of employee organization
officers and representatives.
(3) Recognition of employee organizations.
(4) Exclusive recognition of employee organizations formally
recognized pursuant to a vote of the employees of the trial court or
an appropriate unit thereof, subject to the right of an employee to
represent himself or herself as provided in Section 71631.
(5) Additional procedures for the resolution of disputes involving
wages, hours, and other terms and conditions of employment.
(6) Access of employee organization officers and representatives
to work locations.
(7) Use of official bulletin boards and other means of
communication by employee organizations.
(8) Furnishing nonconfidential information pertaining to
employment relations to employee organizations.
(9) Any other matters as are necessary to carry out the purposes
of this article.
(b) Exclusive recognition of employee organizations formally
recognized as majority representatives pursuant to a vote of the
employees may be revoked by a majority vote of the employees only
after a period of not less than 12 months following the date of
(c) No trial court shall unreasonably withhold recognition of
employee organizations. A trial court may not offer to provide
employees benefits of any kind for the purpose of inducing those
employees to decertify or withdraw support from a recognized employee
(d) Pursuant to the obligation to meet and confer in good faith,
the trial court shall establish procedures to determine the
appropriateness of any bargaining unit of court employees.
(e) Trial court employees and employee organizations shall be able
to challenge a rule or regulation of a trial court as a violation of
Last modified: February 22, 2013