California Probate Code Section 16004.5
16004.5. (a) A trustee may not require a beneficiary to relieve the trustee of liability as a condition for making a distribution or payment to, or for the benefit of, the beneficiary, if the distribution or payment is required by the trust instrument.
(b) This section may not be construed as affecting the trustee s right to:
(1) Maintain a reserve for reasonably anticipated expenses, including, but not limited to, taxes, debts, trustee and accounting fees, and costs and expenses of administration.
(2) Seek a voluntary release or discharge of a trustee s liability from the beneficiary.
(3) Require indemnification against a claim by a person or entity, other than a beneficiary referred to in subdivision (a), which may reasonably arise as a result of the distribution.
(4) Withhold any portion of an otherwise required distribution that is reasonably in dispute.
(5) Seek court or beneficiary approval of an accounting of trust activities.
(Added by Stats. 2003, Ch. 585, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2004.)Section: Previous 16000 16001 16002 16003 16004 16004.5 16005 16006 16007 16009 16010 16011 16012 16013 16014 Next
Last modified: September 9, 2016