Definitions. As used in NRS 200.5091 to 200.50995, inclusive, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. “Abuse” means willful and unjustified:
(a) Infliction of pain, injury or mental anguish on an older person; or
(b) Deprivation of food, shelter, clothing or services which are necessary to maintain the physical or mental health of an older person.
2. “Exploitation” means any act taken by a person who has the trust and confidence of an older person or any use of the power of attorney or guardianship of an older person to:
(a) Obtain control, through deception, intimidation or undue influence, over the older person’s money, assets or property with the intention of permanently depriving the older person of the ownership, use, benefit or possession of his money, assets or property; or
(b) Convert money, assets or property of the older person with the intention of permanently depriving the older person of the ownership, use, benefit or possession of his money, assets or property.
Ê As used in this subsection, “undue influence” does not include the normal influence that one member of a family has over another.
3. “Isolation” means willfully, maliciously and intentionally preventing an older person from having contact with another person by:
(a) Intentionally preventing the older person from receiving his visitors, mail or telephone calls, including, without limitation, communicating to a person who comes to visit the older person or a person who telephones the older person that the older person is not present or does not want to meet with or talk to the visitor or caller knowing that the statement is false, contrary to the express wishes of the older person and intended to prevent the older person from having contact with the visitor; or
(b) Physically restraining the older person to prevent the older person from meeting with a person who comes to visit the older person.
Ê The term does not include an act intended to protect the property or physical or mental welfare of the older person or an act performed pursuant to the instructions of a physician of the older person.
4. “Neglect” means the failure of:
(a) A person who has assumed legal responsibility or a contractual obligation for caring for an older person or who has voluntarily assumed responsibility for his care to provide food, shelter, clothing or services which are necessary to maintain the physical or mental health of the older person; or
(b) An older person to provide for his own needs because of inability to do so.
5. “Older person” means a person who is 60 years of age or older.
6. “Protective services” means services the purpose of which is to prevent and remedy the abuse, neglect, exploitation and isolation of older persons. The services may include investigation, evaluation, counseling, arrangement and referral for other services and assistance.
Last modified: February 25, 2006