Nevada Revised Statutes Section 62G.310 - Juvenile Justice
Probation committee: Appointment, terms and removal of members; forfeiture of office; service without compensation; officers.
1. By an order entered in the minutes, the juvenile court shall:
(a) Appoint not less than five nor more than seven representative citizens of good moral character to be known as the probation committee; and
(b) If any member of the probation committee vacates or is removed from his position before the end of his term, appoint a person to fill the vacancy not later than 30 days after the date on which the vacancy occurs.
2. The clerk of the court shall notify each person who is appointed to the probation committee. The notice of appointment must instruct the person to appear before the juvenile court not later than 10 days after the date the notice is sent.
3. Each person who is appointed to the probation committee shall:
(a) Appear before the juvenile court not later than the time specified by the notice of appointment; and
(b) Qualify by taking an oath to perform faithfully the duties of a member of the probation committee. The taking of the oath must be entered in the records of the juvenile court.
4. Except as otherwise provided in this section, the juvenile court shall appoint persons to the probation committee for the following terms:
(a) For the initial terms of the members:
(1) One member must be appointed for a term of 1 year;
(2) Two members must be appointed for terms of 2 years; and
(3) Two members must be appointed for terms of 3 years.
(b) For the terms following the initial terms, each member must be appointed for a term of 3 years.
5. If a person is appointed to fill a vacancy before the end of a term, the juvenile court shall appoint the person for the remainder of the unexpired term.
6. The juvenile court may at any time remove for cause any member of the probation committee.
7. Any member who is absent from three consecutive meetings of the probation committee without permission of the chairman:
(a) Forfeits his office; and
(b) Must be replaced as provided in this section for the filling of a vacancy before the end of a term.
8. Members of the probation committee shall:
(a) Serve without compensation; and
(b) Choose from among their members a chairman and a secretary.
Last modified: February 25, 2006