New Jersey Revised Statutes § 17:16j-1 - Definitions

17:16J-1. Definitions
For the purposes of this act:

a. "Acquired depository" is a depository which is acquired as a result of a supervisory acquisition as provided in this act;

b. "Acquiring company" is a company which acquires one or more depositories as a result of a supervisory acquisition as provided in this act;

c. "Acquiring depository" is a depository which acquires one or more depositories as a result of a supervisory acquisition as provided in this act;

d. "Association" means a state chartered or federally chartered mutual savings and loan association or building and loan association which has its principal office in this State;

e. "Bank" means a state chartered or federally chartered bank which has its principal office in this State;

f. "Capital stock association" means an association organized pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1974, c. 137 (C. 17:12B-244 et seq.), or a federally chartered capital stock association which has its principal office in this State;

g. "Capital stock savings bank" means a savings bank organized pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1982, c. 9 (C. 17:9A-8.1 et seq.), or a federally chartered capital stock savings bank with its principal office in this State;

h. "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Banking;

i. "Company" means (1) a corporation which is approved by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System as a bank holding company, the operations of whose banking subsidiary or subsidiaries are principally conducted in this State, and which owns at least 25% of the stock of a bank in this State, or (2) a corporation which is approved by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board as a capital stock association holding company, the operations of whose subsidiary association or associations are principally conducted in this State, and which owns at least 25% of the stock of a capital stock association in this State;

j. "Department" means the Department of Banking;

k. "Depository" and "depository institution" mean a state chartered and a federally chartered corporation with its principal office in this State, which is authorized by the laws of this State or of the United States to receive deposits, and include only banks, savings banks, associations, capital stock savings banks, and capital stock associations;

l. "Foreign depository" means a state chartered or federally chartered depository with its principal office in a state other than this State (1) which is empowered to receive deposits; (2) whose deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation, any other instrumentality of the United States, or any other state-approved insurance program, which is organized for the purpose of insuring time and demand deposits; and (3) which is empowered by the laws of the United States or the state of its domicile to merge into or acquire similar institutions organized under the laws of the other states of the United States;

m. "Merging depository" means a depository which merges into or is to be merged into one or more other depositories as provided in this act;

n. "Mutual depository" means an association or a savings bank as defined in subsection d. or q. of this section;

o. "Receiving depository" means a depository into which one or more depositories are merged or are to be merged as provided in this act;

p. "Resulting depository" is a depository which is created by the merger of two or more depositories;

q. "Savings bank" means a state chartered or federally chartered mutual savings bank which has its principal office in this State;

r. "Supervisory acquisition" means the acquisition of a depository to be operated as a subsidiary pursuant to the provisions of section 2 or 3 of this act;

s. "Supervisory merger" means a merger, consolidation or purchase of assets and assumption of liabilities effected under the conditions prescribed by section 2 or 3 of this act.

L.1982, c. 8, s. 1, eff. March 4, 1982.

Section: Previous  17-16i-11  17-16i-12  17-16i-13  17-16i-14  17-16i-15  17-16i-16  17-16i-17  17-16j-1  17-16j-2  17-16j-3  17-16j-4  17-16j-5  17-16j-6  17-16j-7  17-16j-8  Next

Last modified: October 11, 2016