New Jersey Revised Statutes § 24:6j-2 - Findings, Declarations Relative To Overdose Prevention.

24:6J-2 Findings, declarations relative to overdose prevention.

2.The Legislature finds and declares that encouraging witnesses and victims of drug overdoses to seek medical assistance saves lives and is in the best interests of the citizens of this State and, in instances where evidence was obtained as a result of seeking of medical assistance, these witnesses and victims should be protected from arrest, charge, prosecution, conviction, and revocation of parole or probation for possession or use of illegal drugs. Additionally, naloxone is an inexpensive and easily administered antidote to an opioid overdose. Encouraging the wider prescription and distribution of naloxone or similarly acting drugs to those at risk for an opioid overdose, or to members of their families or peers, would reduce the number of opioid overdose deaths and be in the best interests of the citizens of this State. It is not the intent of the Legislature to protect individuals from arrest, prosecution or conviction for other criminal offenses, including engaging in drug trafficking, nor is it the intent of the Legislature to in any way modify or restrict the current duty and authority of law enforcement and emergency responders at the scene of a medical emergency or a crime scene, including the authority to investigate and secure the scene.

L.2013, c.46, s.2.

Section: Previous  24-6i-11  24-6i-12  24-6i-13  24-6i-14  24-6i-15  24-6i-16  24-6j-1  24-6j-2  24-6j-3  24-6j-4  24-6j-5  24-6j-6  24-6k-1  24-6k-2  24-6k-3  Next

Last modified: October 11, 2016