New Jersey Revised Statutes § 34:6-98.7 - Safety.

34:6-98.7 Safety.

7. a. Every mine shall be so constructed, equipped, arranged, operated, maintained and conducted in all respects as to provide reasonable and adequate protection to the lives, health and safety of all persons employed therein, or legally frequenting the same, the owners of the surface of the ground above the mine, the general public and to provide for the protection of property.

b.No person shall work or be permitted to work alone in an unsafe place.

c.No person shall be permitted to work in an unsafe place unless for the purpose of making it safe, and then only after proper precautions have been taken to protect the persons who are doing the work.

No person shall be in solitary employment at a working face unless he is in communication with another employee at reasonable intervals as determined by the commissioner.

d.An air current sufficient to remove smoke, dust and noxious gases and to insure the safety of every person shall be conducted along every passageway and working place in underground workings in such a manner and in accordance with the standards established by the section.

e.Every mine shall install and maintain approved washing, dressing and toilet facilities and every underground mine shall install and maintain an approved miner's dryhouse for drying the working clothes of the miners.

f.The commissioner shall require that an underground mine, operating either through a vertical or inclined shaft, or a horizontal tunnel, and producing from stoping operations shall have not less than two approved outlets, at least 150 feet apart. Where there is no such escapement shaft or opening, work thereon must be commenced as soon as stoping begins, and must be diligently prosecuted until the escapement shaft, raise, or opening is completed and continued to and connected with the lowest workings. The subterranean workings shall connect such outlets with each other in a safe, approved manner. Such outlets shall at all times provide safe and separate passage between the subterranean workings and the surface.

g.Every mine shall be properly and sufficiently protected in an approved manner against the hazards of fire from any cause.

h.All working places and travel roads shall be, when necessary, kept timbered, barricaded, or otherwise guarded to prevent injury to any person from falling material, falling objects or fall of such person.

i.When advancing a drift, exit, level or incline toward a mine working that is suspected to be filled with water, a bore hole must be kept at least 20 feet in advance of the breast of the drive, and also, if necessary, in directions laterally from the course of the drive. Such additional precautionary measures shall be taken as may be deemed necessary by the commissioner to obviate the danger of a sudden break through of water.

j.No raise shall be allowed to approach within 10 feet of any portion of a winze or stope in which there is a dangerous accumulation of water, unless such winze or stope be first unwatered by bailing or pumping or by means of a bore from the raise.

k.In every mine where, in the opinion of the commissioner, there is danger of a sudden inrush of water, such additional raises, drifts or other workings shall be constructed as are necessary to insure the escape of persons from the lower workings, and all sumps and places for the storage of water in mines shall be so constructed as to prevent leakage as far as possible, and insure the safety of the persons working below the same.

l.It shall be unlawful for any operator to impound water or to keep water impounded within any mine in which persons are working below the water so impounded in such manner as to endanger the safety of such persons, unless the water be impounded by a dam or dams or wall or walls approved by the section.

m.Every place where drilling or blasting work is being carried on in an underground mine shall be adequately supplied at all times with clean water under pressure or other approved appliances for controlling dust.

n.Potable drinking water shall be available to employees during working hours.

o.Approved personal protective equipment shall be worn by all employees during the course of their work as required by standards and the rules and regulations promulgated pursuant to the provisions of this act.

L.1954, c.197, s.7; amended 1973, c.257, s.4; 2007, c.155, s.6.

Section: Previous  34-6-67.2  34-6-98.1  34-6-98.2  34-6-98.3  34-6-98.4  34-6-98.5  34-6-98.6  34-6-98.7  34-6-98.8  34-6-98.9  34-6-98.10  34-6-98.11  34-6-98.12  34-6-98.13  34-6-98.14  Next

Last modified: October 11, 2016